Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Steady on! I'm still on 'em, but just cutting down at the mo, down to around 5 a day which is unprecedented for me.
    Just stop, it cant be that hard surely? everytime you think 'I need a cigarette' just fight through the craving, eventually itll go away. Its some good character building as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    At least you've got a reason to quit - im too young a carefree everytime i try and quit i just start again and think **** it ill quit when i really need to
    see thats what im not doing - i mean i have to quit sometime...but if you keep trying to quit and dont then when it comes down to really having to quit you will have had too much experience of failing to quit and so it will be easier to relapse....when i quit im quitting once and for good. but not just yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dforster)
    see thats what im not doing - i mean i have to quit sometime...but if you keep trying to quit and dont then when it comes down to really having to quit you will have had too much experience of failing to quit and so it will be easier to relapse....when i quit im quitting once and for good. but not just yet...
    you've inspired me to stay a commited smoker....mind you im living in moscow and it would be impossible to quit out here as they cost the equivalant of 60p for twenty malboro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Just stop, it cant be that hard surely? everytime you think 'I need a cigarette' just fight through the craving, eventually itll go away. Its some good character building as well!
    \

it really is hard especially in the pub!!!

ReputationRep:
    When I worked in boots I got the same man coming in each week for 96 tablets of 4mg chewing gum. He was hooked on the stuff instead of the ****! It was really funny cause I never had to ask what he wanted. Same with Mr. "36 nurofen plus please" and Mrs. "32 paracetamol caplets". Not forgetting Miss "tub of aqueous cream".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    you've inspired me to stay a commited smoker....mind you im living in moscow and it would be impossible to quit out here as they cost the equivalant of 60p for twenty malboro
    hmm...that wasnt really the intentions - but if you've got cheap cigs let me get my address and my cheque book ready...you can send em over!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Steady on! I'm still on 'em, but just cutting down at the mo, down to around 5 a day which is unprecedented for me.
    applause withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dforster)
    wow if only all smokers took your line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    wow if only all smokers took your line.
    not quite sure if you are being sarcastic - but surely you can see the logic in it....and if there is one more annoying thing in the world then smoking - it has to be people who are constantly just about to quit or are quitting..and then they never actually do.!!!

ReputationRep:
    There's something even more annoying than that - self righteous buggers who feel the need to harp on about how bad smoking is, uninvited, all the bloody time.
    true...everyones allowed their opinion and to express it but after a while - if they dont shut up - im taking this wholly unhealthy cig...and stubbing it out on their eyeball!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    both of you :

ever asked yourself why you started to smoke >>?? it was to look "cool" wasnt it, cus there is no other reason.

ReputationRep:
    both of you :

ever asked yourself why you started to smoke >>?? it was to look "cool" wasnt it, cus there is no other reason.
    yes....and because it was quite a social thing to do...lots of smokers used to hang out together, didnt like missing out.

so in other words...peer pressure and trying to fit in....ahh...i miss being a teenager!!! but i dont regret it...smoking has given me a lot....

now im just looking froward to lung problems etc etc.... :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    No. In fact, when I started smoking, I used to smoke in places I knew my mates (who didn't smoke) wouldn't see me. It was a stress reliever; I was just about to do my finals, had a dissertation to finish, and got kicked out of my flat.
    well from what i have heard when you start smoking it doesnt actually relieve stress, its only when your body needs it that you can find stress relief. so there must have been a reason to pick up the fag in the first place..... perhaps the desire to look "cool" or be a rebel.

ReputationRep:
    No. In fact, when I started smoking, I used to smoke in places I knew my mates (who didn't smoke) wouldn't see me. It was a stress reliever; I was just about to do my finals, had a dissertation to finish, and got kicked out of my flat.
    I understand that completely, I can sympathise with you there...

I don't smoke and I don't like smoking, but unless someone is smoking around me I can't tell them not to and although I may occasionally lecture friends who do smoke, it is only because I care but I think most smokers realise anyway the damage that they could/are doing to themselves and those around them... Hmmmm I don't really know anyway :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you happy, I'll say it was to look cool. Obviously its complete and utter shite, but you won't shut up until I say it.
    I bet you tried it more than a few times before you started during your finals?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I tried it once when I was 17 before that.
    So you felt stressed and just decided to buy a pack of cigarettes to calm you down? Thats pretty strange !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    So you felt stressed and just decided to buy a pack of cigarettes to calm you down? Thats pretty strange !
    suspisious to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    suspisious to say the least.
    Im not suspecting anything, its just most people(who arent smokers) would do something like...listen to music? Have a bath, whatever, not go and buya pack of ****

ReputationRep:
    I think you are sexually aroused by being suspicious, and if you say otherwise I just won't believe you.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Kind of, but it was just to try it to see if it works more than anything. I seemed to, so I persevered.
    I see

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.