Saxandthecity
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys, I was just going over the June 2014 paper again and I don't really understand the mark scheme for question 7iii) (http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...+June+2014.pdf).

The mark scheme is found here:

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...ark+scheme.pdf

The mark scheme mentions 'end-points' that exist in the 1st and 3rd quadrant at (-2, -3) and (2,1), but I was under the impression that the 1st and 3rd quadrants were the top right and the bottom left quadrants respectively. Also, with a negative quadratic, isn't the 'end-point' at an infinite magnitude y-value? Thus, I don't understand how they can say that end points exist at (-2,-3) and (2,1)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Hasufel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
haven`t looked at the shceme but....don`t forget, for your t values: for t = -Pi/2, x=-2, y= -3 and for t= Pi/2, x=2, y=1 are the end points (think of this as only PART of the quadratic, since the restricted t values also restrict the x and y values. Think of this as like a "piecewise" curve which stops at the given points.

(if you even wished to take say the t range as -100Pi to 100Pi, all you would be doing is travelling back and forth along the quadratic from left to right from the indicated points (the (x,y) ones) since the trig functions involved are periodic and certain multiples would give the same x and y values.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (581)
34.2%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (342)
20.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed