claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My city has quite a high muslim population and i ve seen 3 men in thobes(i think thats what their called) smoking this week, i m aware that generally muslims dont drink so why would they smoke as both are addictive substances?
Naveed-7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Because some muslims dont follow their religion properly
neochartist
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
My city has quite a high muslim population and i ve seen 3 men in thobes(i think thats what their called) smoking this week, i m aware that generally muslims dont drink so why would they smoke as both are addictive substances?
A lot of people don't want to be religious but have religious families, especially in the muslim community where people are judged more harshly for deviating.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by neochartist)
A lot of people don't want to be religious but have religious families, especially in the muslim community where people are judged more harshly for deviating.
i had considered that maybe that could be the case, being an atheist i d always say if your unhappy then leave that religion but then if theres no financial or peer support then i can understand why some people wouldnt be able to sometimes.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From what I've seen some see it as Haraam, with the most lax opinion I've seen being makruh(disliked) which is in the minority.
It is an addiction, it is a waste of money and most importantly the consequences are far too great.

Just because someone wears a thobe doesn't automatically make them some perfect person.....if they are addicted they should seek ways to cut it down and should hide their sinning.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Just because someone wears a thobe doesn't automatically make them some perfect person.....if they are addicted they should seek ways to cut it down and should hide their sinning.
I wouldnt think they were, no one is perfect however i was just intrigued as to how other muslims felt about it as if they werent wearing that garment i wouldnt have identified them as being part of that religion
iammeyouareyou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I asked the same question when I was around 9 years old. All Muslims I know will agree that drinking alcohol is prohibited in the Islamic faith but smoking does not seem to be viewed as being as "unacceptable" as drinking is. Many Muslims who do smoke will still abstain from drinking. The response that I was given was that, technically, smoking is haraam in that it is, as you stated, addictive; anything with an addictive/intoxicating effect should not be consumed for recreational purposes. However, during the time of the Prophet, cigarettes weren't in circulation / didn't exist. Cigarettes are therefore not explicitly ruled out whereas alcohol is. Some Muslims will agree that smoking is not permissible whereas others (mainly those who smoke) will slide around it.

I'm only regurgitating the little that I can remember being told. Anyway, I hope this was helpful.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Muslims make up for not drinking by smoking
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldnt think they were, no one is perfect however i was just intrigued as to how other muslims felt about it as if they werent wearing that garment i wouldnt have identified them as being part of that religion
Well ideally they should tell them about what they are doing is wrong and that they should seek help and should they want to sin they should do it in private.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by iammeyouareyou)
I asked the same question when I was around 9 years old. All Muslims I know will agree that drinking alcohol is prohibited in the Islamic faith but smoking does not seem to be viewed as being as "unacceptable" as drinking is. Many Muslims who do smoke will still abstain from drinking. The response that I was given was that, technically, smoking is haraam in that it is, as you stated, addictive; anything with an addictive/intoxicating effect should not be consumed for recreational purposes. However, during the time of the Prophet, cigarettes weren't in circulation / didn't exist. Cigarettes are therefore not explicitly ruled out whereas alcohol is. Some Muslims will agree that smoking is not permissible whereas others (mainly those who smoke) will slide around it.

I'm only regurgitating the little that I can remember being told. Anyway, I hope this was helpful.
that makes sense, thank you. i d have thought there were lots of things that werent around in that time that muslims may now say are unacceptable but i guess some may like to bend things otherwise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed