The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni Night Life and Social Life

I'm considering Lancaster as a potential uni, but could someone tell me about the night and social life there... I'm from the south so I don't want to got a uni that I won't enjoy when I'm not studying.
I like to drink, and go clubbing and are there a mix of social classes or is it quite upper class because I definitely am not LOL
I live in London and was considering Cardiff and Newcastle that are both city based so do you think Lancaster will be a bit of culture shock in terms of social life...?
Original post by JJ03
I'm considering Lancaster as a potential uni, but could someone tell me about the night and social life there... I'm from the south so I don't want to got a uni that I won't enjoy when I'm not studying.
I like to drink, and go clubbing and are there a mix of social classes or is it quite upper class because I definitely am not LOL
I live in London and was considering Cardiff and Newcastle that are both city based so do you think Lancaster will be a bit of culture shock in terms of social life...?

Okay I've not been to Lancaster but I thought I'd start some responses off anyway since a couple of my friends have been there. From what I've heard there are a couple of bars on campus and there's one incredibly popular club in the city called Sugar House (not sure about others). Most students take the night bus off campus on nights out and it's pretty cheap (especially if you're from the south). In Lancaster you will be faced with many northerners and most of them will not be pompous ****, the only way you're going to face people like that is if you go to somewhere like Oxbridge or Durham.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I've just finished my first year (and am from the midlands, so semi-southern :P)- if you're from London you'll probably find it very small but it's only an hour or so away from manchester and liverpool. There are 9 bars on campus where socials/events are often held then yeah Sugar is probably the most popular club because it's run by the student union so it's pretty cheap and there are free buses there and back. Other than that there are three or four other clubs but i've not been to any of them apart from in freshers (I don't drink and don't go out much) but lots of people go out several times a week and have a great time. It's definitely not upper class at all haha and most people I know come from big cities and they like Lancaster so it just depends I guess!
Manufactured student events mostly, Lancaster would be a pretty rough place without the universities. If you just want a jolly and a good time you will find that but if you are hoping for big events/clubs gravitate towards the major cities.

Not much of a night life really if you're using London as your barometer. The unis out in the sticks so getting back from a night out from anywhere but Sugarhouse can be tricky.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't say the uni is out in the sticks, it's a 5-10 minute taxi ride and a ten minute bus. The taxi rates are cheap, especially if sharing with mates and there are also night buses on the weekends. I've just finished my fourth year there and I'd agree with previous posters in that if you're looking for a massive city with massive nights go for London, Manchester, Liverpool etc. Lancaster is a small city, there are 9 bars on campus, and several in town. In terms of clubs, there is sugar house which is student union run so very popular, the main second choice which is elements (two floors), and then a string of smaller bars/clubs such as bentleys, mint and apothecary. I'm from Manchester so a night out in lancaster does seem on a smaller scale but the thing I really enjoy about that is there are ALWAYS people out. These will be mostly students an you're very likely to run into course mates or house mates or other friends on a night out which is great fun. So really it's up to you. After four years I am kinda tired of the sugar house but there are other venues, and also colleges often organise nights out in major cities, often for the price of £10, which will usually include travel there and back, entry and a free shot. Lancaster has two universities so it is very densely populated with students on a night out, which is great. Lancaster also organises "big nights out" two or three times a year. These are bar crawls all around town in your college colour tshirts (buying a £5 tshirt will get you drink discounts and free entry everywhere on the crawl) and this is always a fantastic night.
Just stumbled across this post, thought I'd add a bit. I don't go to Lancaster uni, im hoping to go somewhere else but I live in Lancaster so I can give you an idea of what town is like. The main student club is called SugarHouse, apparently really popular but obvs I've never been as you need student ID to get in. The other major clubs (not many of them) are Dalton rooms (more pricey on fridays, £5-6 for drinks but they're good), Glow rooms which is attached to that and is alright, Apothecary which is expensive but classy and Hustle which is where everyone goes to dance and pull, the floors are sticky but it's my favourite place :biggrin: Elements is also similar to Hustle, it's really easy to walk between clubs and I think there are buses that go back to the uni until a certain time, failing that get a taxi. There's also a few cocktail bars and another club called Bentleys. There are many pubs...so many. The Bobbin is near sainsburies and is pretty cheap. Overall, Lancaster is absolutely heaving when students are here since there are 2 universities so town is good during term time and not too expensive as there are loads of student deals. The best takeaway is Starvin Marvins, round the corner from Dalton Rooms. The locals are friendly :smile:

Just like to adress some of the posters here...Lancaster is only rough if you go across the river at night, it is not rought in town unless you are looking to start trouble, I always walk home alone in the middle of the night and have never had trouble. No one here is pompous I can confirm. We are all just northerners.
Lancaster has rubbish night life. If thats important to you, go to a university that has a campus integrated into a large city,
Don't know what this guy is on about^^^. If your looking for somewhere with lots of clubs then Manchester or London is for you. But the quality of the nightlife is pretty good in Lancaster and so convenient for a university student.

If you find that you will be judging your choice of university on nightlife then I don't think Lancaster is for you in my opinion. Take other top ten universities and compare their nightlife to Lancaster's...its all pretty much the same standard.

As for social class; lots of people I've met are form public/private schools as well as grammar and you could say they're upper class. But as with every university you do get people which you might call lower class.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply