Strickerz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've seen this question on a few of the fieldwork papers in the past few years, it's 'How did the undertaking of your fieldwork help your geographical understanding?'. I am quite confused about what it's asking for. What are some points that I could include? Thanks.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
harishkohli
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, what is your field work relating to? I could write you a model answer if you like if that would help in regards to my own fieldwork?
Smokeybacon27
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My understanding is that you talk about your results and how they relate to geographical theory. Eg, SR of 0.968 supported the Bradshaw theory and explain anomalies using your knowledge of river influences.
PGTippz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Strickerz)
I've seen this question on a few of the fieldwork papers in the past few years, it's 'How did the undertaking of your fieldwork help your geographical understanding?'. I am quite confused about what it's asking for. What are some points that I could include? Thanks.

I found our investigation useful to my understanding of three areas of geography in particular: rivers, scientific research method and fieldwork techniques. Studying the theory of rivers for both GCSE and AS level gave me an understanding of the typical textbook river. Carrying out this fieldwork investigation allowed me to see how an actual river compared and contrasted with the ideal river described by the Bradshaw Model. While the Shimna River agreed with our hypothesis and theory that mean velocity increases downstream,the 2 scatter graphs which we drew of surface and internal velocity clearly showed a few sites to be anomalies, with higher or lower velocities than expected ( quote examples). Interpreting why these were anomalies increased my understanding of the complexity of river hydraulics and of the human and physical factors which control this. For example, the reservoir and dam at Fofanny, between sites 2 and 3 caused a lower than expected velocity at site 3as little water was being released from the dam. At other sites, larger than expected bed load slowed the mean velocity. I learned that while rivers are broadly similar and general principles apply to all rivers, there are minor variations according to local geology, relief and human influence.

The investigation taught me a lot about the process of scientific investigation too. Previously I thought that if my results agreed with the hypothesis, this meant that the investigation had been successful. I now know that conclusions are only valid if they are based on accurate results and that results can only be accurate if they are collected using reliable methods. The flow meter which we used to collect internal velocity data proved to be much more reliable than the float method because…I learned about sampling and how the size and type of sampling used are important. Expand on this. Finally, the investigation taught me how to use equipment to collect data as reliably as possible. Expand on how you ensured that the data we collected was collected reliably

Sumarised:
• Learned about rivers, scientific research method and fieldwork techniques
• allowed me to see how an actual river compared with, ideal river and Bradshaw Model
• Interpreting anomalies increased my understanding
• human and physical factors
• dam at Fofanny, sites 2 and 3 caused a lower than expected velocity
• local geology, relief and human influence
• process of scientific investigation
• conclusions are only valid if they are based on accurate results
• sampling used are important
• how to use equipment to collect data as reliably as possible
Smokeybacon27
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PGTippz)
I found our investigation useful to my understanding of three areas of geography in particular: rivers, scientific research method and fieldwork techniques.

Sumarised:
• Learned about rivers, scientific research method and fieldwork techniques
• allowed me to see how an actual river compared with, ideal river and Bradshaw Model
• Interpreting anomalies increased my understanding
• human and physical factors
• dam at Fofanny, sites 2 and 3 caused a lower than expected velocity
• local geology, relief and human influence
• process of scientific investigation
• conclusions are only valid if they are based on accurate results
• sampling used are important
• how to use equipment to collect data as reliably as possible

Hey, thanks for the really through answer... Its really helped with this question which was the one I was most dreading.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads