The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

I had a panic attack in one of my exams..

I applied for Leeds' English course. I need 3 A's to get in.
I got 3 a's last year, and, until the A2 english exam, had done pretty well in all my english units. I got full marks in my AS english exam, and very high As in both bits of courses.
In my exam on thursday however, I had a panic attack for the first time. I finished the first question, but wrote very little for the second question because of this.
My teacher told me I only need a high E in my english exam to get the overall UMS points to get an A, but obviously I'm now wondering if I even got that, or if the grade boundaries will be higher next year.
Because I was taken outside to be calmed down during the exam I also lost time, which the examiners were meant to give me at the end but didn't, so I'm going to get a note for that, along with a doctor's note, to explain the situation.
I am now incredibly scared that I won't get into Leeds- I have Manchester as my insurance, but I need an A in English for that too. I know I can just pay to resit English next year, but it seems like a waste of a year when I know that if I hadn't had the panic attack I would have got an A in the exam.
Does anyone else have a similar experience? Are Leeds generally quite understanding with stuff like this?
Reply 1
You can get special consideration which will increase your raw mark (but only by about 2-3%) which is what's happening with me, I've just finished all my exams and had a panic attack in two of them and had to leave both, although I did get the time at the end. Panic attacks suck, I was predicted an A in these exams
but I totally messed them up because of the anxiety. I'm not sure whether unis take it into consideration or not, you're probably best asking them or your school/college
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
I have the same thing in exams, last year when I needed an A* in my physics exam I realised I was running out of time before finishing. I started to panic and as a result couldn't think straight or focus, this lead to a spiral of panic and in the end I couldn't even put pen to paper. I had to take a gap year and retook today, despite some lapses it went OK. I use a technique called relabelling where you pretend it's a mock and take your time, it may make you work slower but that's better than straight up having a panic attack!
Reply 3
Original post by Damhuis95
x

Original post by Inkyyy
x

Original post by smiley_reptiley
x

I had exactly the same problem with my last Physics exam, I was prepared enough but as soon as I couldn't do a question I started panicking and couldn't focus for the rest of the exam, I even had to be sick in the toilet to calm down! I managed to calm down after than and did my best which I think was just enough, but without that moment I would've been completely fine.
I was okay for my other exams and think I've done enough to get into Uni but now I'm just scared that I'll do the same at uni when its even more important and requires more critical thinking under pressure. Does anyone have any coping tips? I like your idea Damhuis but feel like I won't be able to convince myself haha
I applied for Leeds' English course. I need 3 A's to get in.
I got 3 a's last year, and, until the A2 english exam, had done pretty well in all my english units. I got full marks in my AS english exam, and very high As in both bits of courses.
In my exam on thursday however, I had a panic attack for the first time. I finished the first question, but wrote very little for the second question because of this.
My teacher told me I only need a high E in my english exam to get the overall UMS points to get an A, but obviously I'm now wondering if I even got that, or if the grade boundaries will be higher next year.
Because I was taken outside to be calmed down during the exam I also lost time, which the examiners were meant to give me at the end but didn't, so I'm going to get a note for that, along with a doctor's note, to explain the situation.
I am now incredibly scared that I won't get into Leeds- I have Manchester as my insurance, but I need an A in English for that too. I know I can just pay to resit English next year, but it seems like a waste of a year when I know that if I hadn't had the panic attack I would have got an A in the exam.
Does anyone else have a similar experience? Are Leeds generally quite understanding with stuff like this?

From what I have read... Leeds is a very understanding university. If they are provided with a doctors note or other medical note then they are highly likely to accept you, even if things go pear-shaped. So don't worry; I know at this stage it is very hard to stay calm but honestly... everything will go fine :smile:
Original post by lsaul95
I had exactly the same problem with my last Physics exam, I was prepared enough but as soon as I couldn't do a question I started panicking and couldn't focus for the rest of the exam, I even had to be sick in the toilet to calm down! I managed to calm down after than and did my best which I think was just enough, but without that moment I would've been completely fine.
I was okay for my other exams and think I've done enough to get into Uni but now I'm just scared that I'll do the same at uni when its even more important and requires more critical thinking under pressure. Does anyone have any coping tips? I like your idea Damhuis but feel like I won't be able to convince myself haha

It's a relief to see I'm not the only person who has had this. I got this mouth spray stuff which is supposed to calm you down, and took these herbal pill things before the rest of my exams. However, I'm not sure if it was just a placebo thing more than anything, plus I think the panic attack was just a one off in my case, asides from being a bit of an anxious person, I've generally been calm in relation to my exams.
Original post by mr.cool09
From what I have read... Leeds is a very understanding university. If they are provided with a doctors note or other medical note then they are highly likely to accept you, even if things go pear-shaped. So don't worry; I know at this stage it is very hard to stay calm but honestly... everything will go fine :smile:

Thank you so much, this takes such a huge weight off my chest. I'm going to send a second copy of my doctor's note to Leeds as well, as I'm not sure they get informed by the exam board.
Thank you so much, this takes such a huge weight off my chest. I'm going to send a second copy of my doctor's note to Leeds as well, as I'm not sure they get informed by the exam board.

That would be the right thing to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest