daniels1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
OK so I'm going to university in September to study Human Geography and Environment at University of York. I got a conditional offer and where I'm worrying is my study background. I know I've got in because I did a BTEC Travel and Tourism and got the grades I needed.

I keep panicking that because I haven't done geography at A level and only did it at GCSE there will be lots of things I won't know about and I'll fall behind. I feel as if I won't have the sufficient knowledge to do well. Can somebody give me any kind of insight on what I should do and/or if they start from the basics at uni. I'm really panicking!

Thanks
GRed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will be fine, 1st year at university is usually the basics, bringing everyone up to the same level
henry11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly there's no need to panic It's likely that the uni course will refer to topics covered in A level geography but having done GCSE geography you will probably have some knowledge on these topics already as A level content just expanded on GCSE content. To help you get up to speed you could find out the uni course content and google aspects of it, or you could buy one or two A level geography revision textbooks and read them over summer.
Obviously as the uni course is at a higher level than A level you will be introduced to new concepts within geography and will be in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to these. Geography's pretty easy to catch on to though and as the above poster said-first year just covers the basics so you should be fine! :console:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.76%
No (108)
32.24%

Watched Threads