Me and my friends all wanting to go to the same uni Watch

Caitlin20
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A group of 5 of us all want to go to the same university and I'm worried that this will be difficult as we need to make new friends as well. It would be nice to have one friend you know there but I'm not sure how we will be? We are all going to be studying completely different subjects but I just wanted others opinion on whether this is a smart thing to do or not?

Thanks
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nonononononononononnonononononon onnonono!

NO!

Please don't do this as it'll only limit your experience. University is a fantastic place for meeting new people - think that you'll have 6 months of the year at uni and then 6 months at home with your friends. Both sets of friends can coexist, but only if you separate for uni!

It may seem like a nice idea, but it'll be hard for any new friends to come into the group as you're already on good terms. It'll make freshers 10x worse for you.

Please, for me, go to different unis?
Pollyanna1998
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't let your friends choice of university compromise your own. The 5 of you have different needs and will look at a huge range of universities that suit your individual requirements and wants. What I'm trying to say is make sure you go to a university that you LOVE the sound of and just CAN'T wait to go, or you will regret it. As unlikely as it is for you to all get the same grades, find a university that offers all of the courses you want and to all be accepted; don't worry.

You will have plenty of opportunities to ''spread your wings'' as it were. You will most likely be in different 'flats' or accommodation, and as you said: you will be on different courses. Therefore, you will each have flatmates to meet and greet, friends to make who are after the same degree as you, and people to discover at your different societies. As it stands, now you may see the decision to be at the same university as restricting, but... You will have close friends to party with and look after you during freshers, and a potentially huge friendship group as all of the people you each meet integrate into your daily lives.

As I said above, join societies. Don't use your friends as your comfort zone and things will be fine; be adventurous, meet new people. Yes, you may drift apart from your old friends, but you don't know what will happen at university. "Make new friends and keep the old, some are silver and the others gold."

Ultimately, going to university is an individual choice and there are (potentially) THOUSANDS of other students going to that same university as you. You won't be limited to your old friendship group unless you allow yourself to be.
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mate going to University is about being independent and finding your own path and DECIDING FOR YOURSELF OMG DONT MAKE A BAD MISTAKE
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you can find a way to keep apart for the first term it can work, with the exception that you can see them when joining societies together and if your flat/course/other societies are doing absolutely nothing else that day and you have the opportunity to meet only one or two of your home friends at a house party or pre drinks or going to a cinema, something like that where you can bring other friends, and even then limit that to maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks.

In practice it's unlikely you'll be able to do this though, chances are at least one of you is going to feel quite homesick and end up using the rest of you as their little piece of home, in which case you'll either have to ditch your uni friends to go see them or you don't and there's a chance they end up dropping out and that'll make you feel quite guilty.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah i went with my 2 best mates. Great call, personally. Especially if you are going to a top uni as people tend to stick within their own social status haha.

Honestly best decision i ever made. Difficult getting to know people well in such a short time when you are that busy. I could always call my friends day or night to hang out. Was wkd experience brah.
hihihihihi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, if your an introvert then it is not a bad idea but don't all go to the same Uni just for the sake of staying together.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Caitlin20)
A group of 5 of us all want to go to the same university and I'm worried that this will be difficult as we need to make new friends as well. It would be nice to have one friend you know there but I'm not sure how we will be? We are all going to be studying completely different subjects but I just wanted others opinion on whether this is a smart thing to do or not?

Thanks
Terrible idea, for all the reasons the others have said. Time to branch out on your own. You can have a bunch of friends at home and a bunch of friends at university, not just one set.
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Only go together if you genuinely all like that uni. You should all research yourselves and then decide, rather than choosing it because of each other. Although it may sound like a nice idea to not have the pressure of making friends, you will make friends better without them and still be able to stay in touch with your old friends.
sim12345
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Caitlin20)

Thanks
am going to uni with no one as I'll be travelling forwards n backwards only an hour away...am really nervous to start but like others say its part of life...meeting new people making new friends in a whole new place is a challenge but u need to overcome this, I'll be too when I soon start not just me there r others out there in the same position

take the advice go to uni meet people make new friends enjoy it only once in a life chance u'll get...u can always stay in touch with ur group of friends
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (241)
66.21%
No (123)
33.79%

Watched Threads