The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to my firm & mitigating circumstances - what's the best thing to do?

I do realise that in writing this I'm probably going to get a barrage of negative and largely unsympathetic responses, telling me that I'm an idiot or that I'm ungrateful. Nonetheless, I wanted to get some advice from others that is hopefully, a bit more objective than the 'you're an idiot' advice that I'm getting from everybody else I know.

Basically, I got a conditional offer (A*AB) to study English at Cambridge, and due to a number of personal issues happening at the moment, I've had a change of heart and would rather study slightly more locally at Manchester, my insurance (AAA). I have had a string of ridiculously unfortunate extenuating circumstances throughout my whole education (this is probably why my Cam. offer is slightly lower), including bereavement, close family illness, the whole lot, and just at the beginning of my exams, it's happened again.

The issue isn't that they have adversely affected my performance in this case (they have a little bit, but as I say, not the issue here), but that I'd rather stick closer to home because of them. I don't think the high pressure environment, coupled with the massive distance from home is something that I'd deal well with, and ultimately, I'd be happier at Manchester. I'd been having doubts for a while as to whether I'd be happy at Cambridge regardless of this.Now I'm not asking for any sympathy, I'd just like to know the most practical way of sorting this mess out. It is completely clear in my mind that I want to go to Manchester.

Also - would it be worth contacting Manchester regarding the extenuating circumstances? My offer for there is AAA, and the first two As are pretty much guaranteed, but the third is the one I'm a little iffy on.

Thanks for your help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bradshawsl
I do realise that in writing this I'm probably going to get a barrage of negative and largely unsympathetic responses, telling me that I'm an idiot or that I'm ungrateful. Nonetheless, I wanted to get some advice from others that is hopefully, a bit more objective than the 'you're an idiot' advice that I'm getting from everybody else I know.

Basically, I got a conditional offer (A*AB) to study English at Cambridge, and due to a number of personal issues happening at the moment, I've had a change of heart and would rather study slightly more locally at Manchester, my insurance (AAA). I have had a string of ridiculously unfortunate extenuating circumstances throughout my whole education (this is probably why my Cam. offer is slightly lower), including bereavement, close family illness, the whole lot, and just at the beginning of my exams, it's happened again.

The issue isn't that they have adversely affected my performance in this case (they have a little bit, but as I say, not the issue here), but that I'd rather stick closer to home because of them. I don't think the high pressure environment, coupled with the massive distance from home is something that I'd deal well with, and ultimately, I'd be happier at Manchester. I'd been having doubts for a while as to whether I'd be happy at Cambridge regardless of this.Now I'm not asking for any sympathy, I'd just like to know the most practical way of sorting this mess out. It is completely clear in my mind that I want to go to Manchester.

Also - would it be worth contacting Manchester regarding the extenuating circumstances? My offer for there is AAA, and the first two As are pretty much guaranteed, but the third is the one I'm a little iffy on.

Thanks for your help.

Firstly, you need to phone up cambridge and withdraw from there now.
Secondly, have you got special circumstances put in for you exams? if so you can tell manchester but they might not be willing to change or lower the offer much, worth a try though.
I had a grandparent have a heart attack the night before 3 a2 exams so know how awful it is to still have to sit the exams when its the last thing you feel like doing, unfortunately my uni choice wouldnt budge whatsoever on my offer but i did massively miss it any so wasnt expecting much.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Firstly, you need to phone up cambridge and withdraw from there now.
Secondly, have you got special circumstances put in for you exams? if so you can tell manchester but they might not be willing to chance or lower the offer much, worth a try though.
I had a grandparent have a heart attack the night before 3 a2 exams so know how awful it is to still have to sit the exams when its the last thing you feel like doing, unfortunately my uni choice wouldnt budge whatsoever on my offer but i did massively miss it any so wasnt expecting much.

Hey, thanks for your reply. Should I call Manchester first and check that they're willing to take me, or call Cambridge straight away?

I think my college are in the process of sorting out the mitigating circumstances for my exams, but I'm not sure Manchester are aware of the previous ones (I was advised to fill in an extenuating circumstances form for Cambridge). It might be worth giving them a call anyway. I don't think I'll *massively* miss my offer, but I doubt I'll be getting the third A.

Really sorry to hear about your grandparent by the way, it really is an awful situation.
Hey, thanks for your reply. Should I call Manchester first and check that they're willing to take me, or call Cambridge straight away?

I think my college are in the process of sorting out the mitigating circumstances for my exams, but I'm not sure Manchester are aware of the previous ones (I was advised to fill in an extenuating circumstances form for Cambridge). It might be worth giving them a call anyway. I don't think I'll *massively* miss my offer, but I doubt I'll be getting the third A.

Really sorry to hear about your grandparent by the way, it really is an awful situation.

being its your insurance choice at manchester, they should definitely be willing to take you, you could always call admissions just to be sure and make them aware of your mitigating circumstances while you are it :smile:.
Thanks, they actually made it through the day and survived another 6 months so they got to see me start uni, they had got a cancer diagnosis just before i started year 13 so was never sure if they d make it to the end of my a levels , which is one of the many reasons i never really got the a levels i wanted but i m over it now.

Thanks for your help.

Call up Cambridge and Manchester. Changing to firm manchester should be straight forward and if there is a chance that you might miss your manc offer then the sooner you let them know about your situation the better.
Hey. I'm not sure my post is going to help a lot. I was thinking perhaps you could ask Cambridge to defer your offer for next year? Perhaps a gap year would be a great option so you can stay close to your family, stress-free, and that way you can completely focus on that and, if it feels right, go to Cambridge the following year.

Best of luck

x
Reply 6
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Hey. I'm not sure my post is going to help a lot. I was thinking perhaps you could ask Cambridge to defer your offer for next year? Perhaps a gap year would be a great option so you can stay close to your family, stress-free, and that way you can completely focus on that and, if it feels right, go to Cambridge the following year.

Best of luck

Hey, thanks for your reply. This is something I'd considered, but I took a year off college when I started AS because my dad was ill, and I couldn't really concentrate because I had caring responsibilities at home and wasn't really dealing with things well. Because I'm already a year behind and was at the older end of my year anyway (I'm 20 in a few months), I don't really want to defer my education for another year.

Again, thanks for your suggestion :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Call up Cambridge and Manchester. Changing to firm manchester should be straight forward and if there is a chance that you might miss your manc offer then the sooner you let them know about your situation the better.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, this is pretty much what I had in mind, but wasn't really sure how willing Manchester would be to take the situation into consideration. Hopefully, everything will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending