This discussion is closed.
2stepsfromhell
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I hope to do medicine at uni, and I was wondering: do NCS (The Challenge) and Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze, Silver or Gold) provide UCAS points for your UCAS application? I know you can mention it, but do you get UCAS points? If you know the answer, please could you also provide a source for that answer?
Thanks!
2stepsfromhell
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2stepsfromhell)
Hi, I hope to do medicine at uni, and I was wondering: do NCS (The Challenge) and Duke of Edinburgh Award (Bronze, Silver or Gold) provide UCAS points for your UCAS application? I know you can mention it, but do you get UCAS points? If you know the answer, please could you also provide a source for that answer?
Thanks!
For example, EPQ provides 70 UCAS points if you get an A* in it
(http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...ification.html)
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks!
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. However, given that nowhere makes offers on the basis of UCAS points for Medicine, I would think it's irrelevant.
Skittles_Lime
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks!
It is recognised by the UCAS people, well that is what they said. Universities always question about your experiences during interviews. It does make a difference on your CV.

You can also combine NCS and DofE together however only certain aspects will be taken into account from DofE for your NCS.

If you haven't chosen to do NCS you should really think about it!
russellwallace
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks!
As far as I am aware they don't. However, as Ronove says, no med school makes any offer based on UCAS points. DoE may help a bit with your personal statement as a back up to the very important voluntary work etc. Med schools do not " always question about your experiences during interviews" for medical school. The interviews are different and you need to check those out too.
Valyrian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had read somewhere that NCS did offer like 30 UCAS points but I don't think they do anymore because that's absolutely ridiculous.
2stepsfromhell
Rep:
?
Thanks for replying!, I've asked UCAS as well and awaiting a reply; I am doing NCS and I also started DofE but our group kinda collapsed so we can't do the expedition and so I am thinking of giving it up. But I am definitely doing NCS, it's confirmed.
russellwallace
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for replying!, I've asked UCAS as well and awaiting a reply; I am doing NCS and I also started DofE but our group kinda collapsed so we can't do the expedition and so I am thinking of giving it up. But I am definitely doing NCS, it's confirmed.
I've checked out the NCS thing and it may have some relevance. Your medical application will need to focus on your knowledge of "what does a doctor do?" and what you did you find this out and identify those skills in yourself. Actual voluntary work is really important and, if you can, work experience.
Matriix
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
DofE and NCS don't give UCAS points. No medical school considers the UCAS points you have (except for Barts where a high UCAS tarrif increases your chances of getting an interview).

Doing DofE/NCS can give you some useful things to talk about on your personal statement (teamwork, leadership, communication, etc). Make sure you reflect on your experiences
joeyyyyyyy53443
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it does give ucas points. Not sure about dofe bronze but gold definitely does and so does NCS
MonteCristo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It may be useful for your personal statement and interview but, as others have said, medical schools really don't care about how many UCAS points you have - they are interested in specific subjects and grades.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No - I have already returned home (33)
11.83%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (57)
20.43%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (30)
10.75%
No - I live at home during term anyway (83)
29.75%

Watched Threads