Aali1712
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
anyone in Year 10 going into Year 11 this september? not sure when to start applying for colleges and how many to apply for?
User23
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Me too; stressed af
xsana.khanx
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
nah man hold me back bro hold me back i aint ready for dis. HOLD ME BACK! IM TOO YOUNG!!!!! no but really im gonna be 16 this year and i cant believe it. as a child i always wanted to grow up and be 16 and hang out with my friends and dress up but the reality is that i just need sleep. lots of it! xxxx tee hee heee
Lemon Haze
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why are you worrying about going into Year 11? Like why is it even worth writing a thread for its just a continuation of Year 10 + You got more than 6 weeks before you even start!
SomeBadKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Honestly, by Year 10 you should have started to get your sh!t together so Year 11 is pretty much the same but an continuation as the other poster stated.

Not really nothing to be frightened about, you should already have a grasp of exams and coursework needed to be handed in.

As for applying for colleges/sixth-form. It's not such a big fuss, and most people start applying at around January-March. As opening evenings are usually before the Christmas holiday.

Exams begin May so you have time to revise.

Good luck.

(P.S I am completely done with school and am now on an early holiday. Yippee!)
Crystalz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well I applied to 30 in around November but I'm just weird.
Tsrsarah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Start applying in the beginning of year 11. Don't do what I did and apply to only one college I didn't get the grades I needed to do two of the courses I wanted to do in that college so I decided not to go. I had to go to other colleges and beg them to let me in. Thankfully I got a placebo one near to my house
Starlight15
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aali1712)
anyone in Year 10 going into Year 11 this september? not sure when to start applying for colleges and how many to apply for?
Actually, I'm pretty excited! My last year of secondary school is just around the corner . What a levels are you planning to pick?
Rigby16
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i'm more scared about starting college EVERYONE says its 10x harder :/
kalixeee
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ayee, I'm more stressed about what I want to do with myself after college. I'm practically having an existential crisis.
Starlight15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rigby16)
(Original post by kalixeee)
Ayee, I'm more stressed about what I want to do with myself after college. I'm practically having an existential crisis.
Don't worry you have time to think about it during the holidays.
Btw I'm really excited for year 11
username1068847
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bit of advice from a Year 11 student here -

Start your personal statement soon so you don't have to rush and panic nearing the sixth form/college's deadline. That way you have a lot of time for your English teacher or relevant staff to proof-read it and make corrections.

But I wouldn't worry about applying to college/sixth form just yet. Just ensure you have a decent personal statement
Starlight15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alan-K)

Start your personal statement soon so you don't have to rush and panic nearing the sixth form/college's deadline. That way you have a lot of time for your English teacher or relevant staff to proof-read it and make corrections.

But I wouldn't worry about applying to college/sixth form just yet. Just ensure you have a decent personal statement
Thank you!
Bria331
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Aali1712)
You'll be told quite early on when you can apply to colleges the deadline is usually around January. My advice is to visit all your local colleges and apply to those you most like which offers your courses. I applied in November half term but I was quite early.

(Original post by Alan-K)

My personal statement was limited to 500 characters.

Mock grades are what you apply to colleges with so revise well for them also it is very good practice for the real things.

Good luck!!
Vanilla Poison
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by User23)
Me too; stressed af
Ahahah you're already stressed? Wait till you have 10 pieces of coursework to do, SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!
Top tip to anyone starting year 11, please try and learn things the first time round in class. Don't be like me and teach yourself the whole of triple science in the last month of school!
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't want to be in year 11 Too much serious stuff. Uhhhhh. I still feel like a year 7
And I literally have no achievements to put in my personal statement
Vanilla Poison
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by _ariane29)
I don't want to be in year 11 Too much serious stuff. Uhhhhh. I still feel like a year 7
And I literally have no achievements to put in my personal statement
I've been to three college interviews, the only thing they actually cared about was my personal statement. Even then they just skim through it, all they want to see are your predicted/mock grades and your A Level choices. Don't stress about it too much, the interviewers are not that bothered as they have to deal with a lot of students.
_ariane29
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Vanilla Poison)
I've been to three college interviews, the only thing they actually cared about was my personal statement. Even then they just skim through it, all they want to see are your predicted/mock grades and your A Level choices. Don't stress about it too much, the interviewers are not that bothered as they have to deal with a lot of students.
No I'm not stressing *yet* Thankyou Mine is going to be a lot of talk about nothing though.
h8skoooooool
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personal statements for college/sixth? I didn't know that was a thing and I've just finished year 11 ahah

I applied to one sixth form and it was a breeze (yeah okay it was my current high school but still, they have high expectations). I'm pretty sure they'll let me in no matter what grades I get as well.

My tip for year 11s: revise now. Make revision notes for everything. Do past papers. Don't piss about in class, because trust me, you'll regret it. Make the most of these summer holidays and revise, you'll have time to relax in a year when high school is over
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Rigby16)
uhm... no just no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (30)
10.71%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
22.86%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.79%

Watched Threads