The Student Room Group

Going into Year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xsana.khanx
nah man hold me back bro hold me back i aint ready for dis. HOLD ME BACK! IM TOO YOUNG!!!!! no but really im gonna be 16 this year and i cant believe it. as a child i always wanted to grow up and be 16 and hang out with my friends and dress up but the reality is that i just need sleep. lots of it! xxxx tee hee heee

wait till u get to college or sixth form u will be getting less sleep
Original post by Aali1712
anyone in Year 10 going into Year 11 this september? not sure when to start applying for colleges and how many to apply for?

do the advance research now in terms of college's reputation, grades, ofsted etc it will be best for you which college to choose now rather on the last minute
Original post by Alan-K
Bit of advice from a Year 11 student here -

Start your personal statement soon so you don't have to rush and panic nearing the sixth form/college's deadline. That way you have a lot of time for your English teacher or relevant staff to proof-read it and make corrections.

But I wouldn't worry about applying to college/sixth form just yet. Just ensure you have a decent personal statement :smile:

lmao why does everyone talk about the personal statement so much? It's getting kind of annoying since so many people have overestimated its importance (well on the plus side people like me that dont care about the personal statement benefit from others becoming less competitive because they spend too much effort on the statement).
Sure, it's important for a few subjects, but for others, admissions tutors dont even bother reading it, and in the case they do they attach no weight to it and only care about the qualifications you have and entrance exam/interview performance
Original post by Necrofantasia
lmao why does everyone talk about the personal statement so much? It's getting kind of annoying since so many people have overestimated its importance (well on the plus side people like me that dont care about the personal statement benefit from others becoming less competitive because they spend too much effort on the statement).
Sure, it's important for a few subjects, but for others, admissions tutors dont even bother reading it, and in the case they do they attach no weight to it and only care about the qualifications you have and entrance exam/interview performance

I was simply suggesting that you could start your personal statement now and then you have one less thing to worry about. Please don't get mad at me.
Original post by Alan-K
I was simply suggesting that you could start your personal statement now and then you have one less thing to worry about. Please don't get mad at me.

oh you are talking about applying to sixth form
dont know how important the personal statement is in that case. I guess you may want to write it early in that case, I thought it was the PS for uni (I know that one is kind of worthless lol. I would even leave mine blank if someone gave me enough money on a dare.)
You won't need to start applying to colleges or sixth forms until the second term at the very earliest. Calm down, relax :smile: Just make sure you're on top of coursework and keeping up revision notes then you won't have struggle with balancing college/sixth form applications on top of cramming for exams
anyone in Year 10 going into Year 11 this september? not sure when to start applying for colleges and how many to apply for?

Me. Im so confused tho omg, i dont know what sixth form to go to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sim12345
wait till u get to college or sixth form u will be getting less sleep

This is literally me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Advice from a year 13 who's going to start Uni in September.

Year 11 may seem scary but it's really not. Just make sure you don't mess about and study hard especially as all GCSEs are now at the end of the year.

When you do go to college/sixthform make sure you know what career you want to go into as this will help shape your personal statement for uni and choosing the uni course!
Original post by munnaa
This is literally me

Posted from TSR Mobile

me too
Reply 50
Original post by tofaeal
Advice from a year 13 who's going to start Uni in September.

Year 11 may seem scary but it's really not. Just make sure you don't mess about and study hard especially as all GCSEs are now at the end of the year.

When you do go to college/sixthform make sure you know what career you want to go into as this will help shape your personal statement for uni and choosing the uni course!

Bruh i swear personal statements are for uni :\

Me omg, i'm so CLUELESS right now i dont even know what to do.
Original post by munnaa
Me omg, i'm so CLUELESS right now i dont even know what to do.

You don't need to start worrying about college yet. When you go back to school a careers advisor will help you apply. I started late and did mine in December. Just think hard on what subject you enjoy and what career you want and it is advisable you apply for 2 or 3 even if you are fixated on one.
Original post by Kieran26199
You don't need to start worrying about college yet. When you go back to school a careers advisor will help you apply. I started late and did mine in December. Just think hard on what subject you enjoy and what career you want and it is advisable you apply for 2 or 3 even if you are fixated on one.

I currently have 5 sixth forms in mind but knowing me, i'll probably change it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice btw

Original post by User23
Me too; stressed af

Don't worry about applying to colleges now! You're not even in Year 11 yet. :tongue: Of course, you should think about what subjects you want to apply for and where you want to go, but your school should telly you about when to apply, about open days etc. They're usually in like December-March time. :smile:
Bruh i swear personal statements are for uni :\

You may have to do one for sixth form/college, depends on the sixth form/college. Some don't ask for it. :nah: My sixth form asked for one, it's really not as scary as it may seem though! They just have questions.. and you have to answer them. :yep: It's just about why you'd like to go to that college/sixth form, why you chose your subject, about your hobbies and interests and achievements, awards, responsibilities, volunteering etc. :smile:
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Ahahah you're already stressed? :biggrin: Wait till you have 10 pieces of coursework to do, SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!
Top tip to anyone starting year 11, please try and learn things the first time round in class. Don't be like me and teach yourself the whole of triple science in the last month of school! :h:

hahahahhahahahhhahaha lol thank god i've got biology out of the way ! just got chemistry and physics left ..... truthfully.... how hard is it?
Original post by xsana.khanx
hahahahhahahahhhahaha lol thank god i've got biology out of the way ! just got chemistry and physics left ..... truthfully.... how hard is it?

If you're talking about the coursework, it's not too bad. I may have exaggerated a bit lol, you just really need to keep on top of all your coursework. So if you're organised you should be fine. The content of the chemistry and physics coursework isn't hard at all, it's just the amount of work you have to do that is the problem. Good luck!
:colondollar: thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest