Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Universe watch

Announcements

(Original post by Nylex)
    No, time is dilated (ie. it slows down). Also, you can't travel at c.
    He probably means that time speeds up for everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    He probably means that time speeds up for everyone else.
    no, time stays the same for everyone else, it just appears to slow down for you.

ReputationRep:
    well, I don't believe we are alone in universe, that sound silly, as the universe is so vast

I don't think the universe could end as it is eternal. Unless we all get sucked up by a black hole..hmm..now there's an interesting point:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    no, time is relative
    That is what I am saying, their time will stay the same, in their eyes, and you will go very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    well, we are not alone in universe, I don't believe that

I don't think the universe could end as it is eternal. Unless we all get sucked up by a black hole..hmm..now there's an interesting point:rolleyes:
    well, if you believe that the mass of the universe is sufficent for expansion to carry on indefinitely, the universe is eternal. Of course, the universe will burn out, so all that will be left is dark matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    I was just thinking about this over the past couple o days lol. Somewhere somehow, everything has to end. it just cant b possible everything goes on forever, it has to end somewhere. but where something ends, something starts :confused: I Think i remember someone once saying that if you travel in a straight line long enough you would end up in the same place. Wouldnt this be time travel?
    hahaha try having this conversation after quite a bit of alochol, it becomes even more mind bloggling!!!! also if you mates dad comes up with new theories on it all.

ReputationRep:
    The debate about whether the universe is finite or infinite has been debated since the days of the presocratic philosophers. It wasn't solved then, it hasn't been resolved yet, and it certainly won't be resolved on UKL.
    there is nothing outside of the universe, that is what we must understand first. The second thing we must understand is that the universe is expanding continuously.
    The third thing you need to know is that there is a finite level of mass-energy.
    Therefore the universe is finite, although very, very massive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    well, I don't believe we are alone in universe, that sound silly, as the universe is so vast

Cool, you're from Thanet.

ReputationRep:
    Morning, ****face.
    I'll remember that the next time I'm rolling off ya mum.

ReputationRep:
    Ummmmm heard of M-theory? Our universe is just one of many, many.
    there is no way we can look outside our own universe, nor can we see the entire of our universe at present, so we will never know if we are part of a multiverse.
    It is the same as us talking about parallel dimensions, they may exist, but we have no way of finding them.

ReputationRep:
    There is a higher probability of you getting a job after you graduate than that happening, mate.
    I'll take those odds given what I have done to the ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    there is no way we can look outside our own universe, nor can we see the entire of our universe at present, so we will never know if we are part of a multiverse.
    It is the same as us talking about parallel dimensions, they may exist, but we have no way of finding them.
    At present, there is no way of building a Space Craft that can travel at the speed of light; doesn't mean that it is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    *yawns*
    Is that the best response you can give? I'm rather dissapointed Hewie.

BTW.. I've just noticed that the Guardian Rankings (your new bible) rate job prospects for Maths at Bath higher than for Law at KCL. This is of course forgetting how grossly underated Bath is by the Guardian rag.

ReputationRep:
    True, we can't just pop our head out of the universe and "ooooo look at that!" just as we can't shrink to the size Bigcnee's willy and observe atoms.

But just because we can't see them doesn't mean we can't know that they exist.
    we cannot see gravitons are higgs bosons, but we know they exist because we can see their effects. There is no conceivable way to observe the effect of another universe on our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    At present, there is no way of building a Space Craft that can travel at the speed of light; doesn't mean that it is not possible.
    we cannot travel at the speed of light, it is impossible. As you near the speed of light your mass increases exponentially, meaning more energy is needed to sustain that same speed.

ReputationRep:
    True, we can't just pop our head out of the universe and "ooooo look at that!" just as we can't shrink to the size Bigcnee's willy and observe atoms.

But just because we can't see them doesn't mean we can't know that they exist.
    Your obsession with me is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    we cannot travel at the speed of light, it is impossible. As you near the speed of light your mass increases exponentially, meaning more energy is needed to sustain that same speed.
    I find it very funny how you can come here and quote this stuff. How do you know this for sure? Have you researched it yourself?

Up to what level have you studied Physics??

ReputationRep:
    Actually, there is - gravity - it's the weakest force but no-one knew why until M-theory provided an unintentional logical solution.
    gravitation force is simply the force of attraction created by anything with mass.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Your Guardian loves KCL and puts Bath in its place - "I'm lovin it"
    Who really cares about the Guardian? :confused:

Actually I think I'll refrain from arguing with you about League Tables (even though we're higher placed than Strand Poly), as I don't what to challenge you for your title (rather amusingly observed by Piginapoke).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    I find it very funny how you can come here and quote this stuff. How do you know this for sure? Have you researched it yourself?

Up to what level have you studied Physics??
    A2 at present, but we went through all of this in class, as well as time travel. The laws of relativity prohibit the speed of light being attained.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.