Turn on thread page Beta

B799 - Eurovision Provisions Act 2015 watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B799 - Eurovision Provisions Act 2015, the Hon. Adam9317 MP & the Hon. Aph MP

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Selection
    1) acts to be sent to Eurovision shall be decided by a popular vote hosted on BBC1
    2) the vote should be held before January 30th of the year the act is being selected for and,
    2.1) after July 1st the previous year.
    3) acts should perform the song they intend to perform at Eurovision at the selection show.

2: Funding
    1) the BBC should fully fund the selection show as described in section 1
    2) should the UK be asked to host Eurovision a maximum of £40mn my be spent by the UK to host
    2.1) 50% of this shall come from the BBC budget.

3: Public Holiday
    1) the end of May bank holiday is abolished
    2) a new bank holiday called Eurovision day will be established and,
    2.1) the date of this holiday shall be the Friday immediately before the Eurovision final.

4: Commencement, extent and short title
    1) This Bill may be cited as the Eurovision provisions act 2015
    2) This Bill shall extend to the entire United Kingdom; and
    3) Shall come into force immediately following Royal Assent.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, no, no.

The May bank holiday should be maintained over this horror of a bank holiday. Also, there is no provision here for us to stop buying our way into the final, so most certainly a nay.

I must admit though, at least with adam9317 it seems to be formatted correctly

ReputationRep:
    Hell Yes, if only to see the Little Englander crowd go totally barmy that Eurovision Day is a bank holiday and St. George's Day isn't and accuse us all of being disguised lizards imported directly from Brussels.

ReputationRep:
    'Nay'.

Government has no business doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Who even cares? This is going to be the most meh vote for me ever.

ReputationRep:
    What's even the point of life when this is a government bill?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    What's even the point of life when this is a government bill?
    It isn't, it's a PMB put forwards by everybody's favorite MP, Aph, along with Adam.

ReputationRep:
    I really do not see the need for a Eurovision holiday. If we are going to have a Eurovision day, we might as well have a holiday for everything.

ReputationRep:
    While I do like a bit of Eurovision, these provisions seem a tad extreme.

I would support something along the lines of a British Melodifestivalen but it's just not the government's place to legislate on such matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I urge the House to reject this Bill. Eurovision is not something in my opinion that should even be on the BBC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    While I do like a bit of Eurovision, these provisions seem a tad extreme.

I would support something along the lines of a British Melodifestivalen but it's just not the government's place to legislate on such matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Having a public vote on the acts?
    Or is it Eurovision day? Well if we have that people will be more inclined to watch/like Eurovision because it gives them a day off. This means that more people will throw Eurovision parties and that will support our party buissnesses and our Lycra makers
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.

And do we not use capital letters at the start of sentences, Aph?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Nay. The idea of a vote is alright, but getting rid of the May bank holiday... no thanks! And the government intervening in this... no point...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Also:

This Bill may be cited as the Eurovision provisions act 2015
    From what I understand, Eurovision Provisions Act 2015 is the name of the act, and so should probably have capital letters...?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I agree that our Eurovision song should be decided by a popular vote, but I don't agree with anything else, especially not capping the amount of money that can be spent if we ever do host the final. Nay.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is this a matter for the law/government?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I agree that our Eurovision song should be decided by a popular vote, but I don't agree with anything else, especially not capping the amount of money that can be spent if we ever do host the final. Nay.
    Let's be honest, we're never going to host the final again, so I just find the bill redundant.

ReputationRep:
    Absolute nay, it is none of the governments business to go meddling in BBC affairs, also there is nothing to say the government has to spend any money on a eurovision competition anyway, if we were to win it, it would be up to the government at the time to decide how much money they are willing to put forward, based on the current state of the countries money, why decide now. Also, I quite like my May bank holiday thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Even discussing such a frivolous notion undermines the credibility of this house. And why is the drafter of this bill averse to using capital letters?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.