The Student Room Group

Change College after AS

Hi,
I need some advice/help on changing to a different college for my A2 study.
During my A level study, I suffered from two spells of depression, just suddenly quite ill, couldn't carry on studying (the doctors and therapists couldn't identify the causes), one spell in my AS year, and I had to withdraw and then repeat my AS year; and one other spell this year whist doing A2 so I had to suspend my A2 study. Now, I have just recovered and want to continue my A2 study. My original school is not interested in taking me back as I am 19 now, so I have to look for a new place. My question is: should I tell the new college the truth about my depression or just vaguely tell them that I had some illness without giving specific details or even just say that I had some personal/family problems. I am worried that if I let them know that I suffered two episodes of depression, they may discriminate me and turn me down. I did ok in my AS exams: gaining two As and one C (which I want to resit to improve the grade).
Can someone adivse me what the best reasons I should give to the new college so that they will take me? Will they also take up the references from my original school?

Many thanks.
Andy
I think once you turn 19 you have to pay to go to any college. I quit sixth form after my AS levels and went to another college but had to repeat my AS levels due to them having different exam boards so the courses were completely different.

Quick Reply

Latest