Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't other universities publish their own dictionary? watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard of Oxford and Cambridge when I was young because they made dictionaries and encyclopedias.

Why don't Bristol and other school made their own dictionaries? Then they may be as famous as Oxbridge in foreign countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    I heard of Oxford and Cambridge when I was young because they made dictionaries and encyclopedias.

Why don't Bristol and other school made their own dictionaries? Then they may be as famous as Oxbridge in foreign countries
    Oxford's the biggest dictionary producer, Cambridge mainly produces English as a Foreign Language dictionaries. The reason is that Oxford University Press started it (I believe they produced the first proper etymological English dictionary), and has cornered the market. Only a handful of universities outside Oxbridge actually have their own publishing houses anyway, and none are nearly so big.

ReputationRep:

Because people from Oxford and Cambridge are better than us poor, uneducated, wretched peasant underclasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    No, that's just you.
    Please, what did I tell you about this sort of behaviour on the "...Where are all the nice guys" thread?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Please, what did I tell you about this sort of behaviour on the "...Where are all the nice guys" thread?!?
    How cute?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    How cute?!
    Oh I know! It is cute...slightly annoying...but cute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Oh I know! It is cute...slightly annoying...but cute!
    { awaits the return of Gnostic }

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    { awaits the return of Gnostic }
    Wow, even other people have learnt that wherever I go, he is sure to follow!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have to follow behind you - after all, I'm not going to trust you behind my back, you little sodomite.
    Or maybe you just like being in control

ReputationRep:
    This thread promises to be very amusing, keep up the good work guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    is my question answered :confused:

ReputationRep:
    is my question answered :confused:
    Alexander answered it.

ReputationRep:
    o. sorry
    ya i have got that : )

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    I have found during modding that thread involving Gnostic come in 3 variants:

1) The Majorly Offensive - usually started by a particularly harsh comment about KCL.

2) The Intelligent - Used to be quite rare but they are getting more frequent.

3) The Downright Funny - This is the counterbalance to the offensive kind....a lá this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    I have found during modding that thread involving Gnostic come in 3 variants:

1) The Majorly Offensive - usually started by a particularly harsh comment about KCL.

2) The Intelligent - Used to be quite rare but they are getting more frequent.

3) The Downright Funny - This is the counterbalance to the offensive kind....a lá this thread
    Damn, now I've said that they've both stopped, which thread have they moved to leeky?

You're forgetteing the 4th - the Voice of God - when Allah himself speaks through me.
    Ahh I forgot that type, I actually look forward to you revealing ancient pearls of wisdom to us!!!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a piece from the Big Cheese himself: "And verily I say unto you, Bigcnee is a ****-wielding, uncle-****ing, donkey rapping **** eater".

Don't I make your job of moderating...fun?
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    LOL
    what are you laughing at, you pretentious aids-ridden w**re?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    what are you laughing at, you pretentious aids-ridden w**re?

You're such a charmer....and the sheer eloquence of your posts... lay off the caffeine and get yourself an Oxford Dictionary...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    You're such a charmer....and the sheer eloquence of your posts... lay off the caffeine and get yourself an Oxford Dictionary...
    What is it with you and caffeine today?!?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.