The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan whilst in Full-time work

Hi everyone,

So I am still awaiting confirmation if I have been accepted on to my Masters course yet so haven't begun the process of applying for a CDL but I have a couple questions just in case.

If I'm lucky enough to get accepted on to my course I will have to apply for CDL pretty much right away, but I've heard if you are in employment whilst studying they will not give you full amount to cover fees?

My personal circumstances are that even working full time, I will not be able to afford any of my fees at the moment as I support myself and my partner on my income alone. I want to study this degree to help further me in my current career so for this and financial reasons leaving employment isn't an option. Do they take this in to account or is it just the overall rule that they do not fully fund those in work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
The general literature on these things covers such generic circumstances that I would advise you to ring them.

Remember that if you can't afford it this year and you do get an offer from the university, you should be able to defer it for next year.
Reply 2
Original post by Blooperink
Hi everyone,

So I am still awaiting confirmation if I have been accepted on to my Masters course yet so haven't begun the process of applying for a CDL but I have a couple questions just in case.

If I'm lucky enough to get accepted on to my course I will have to apply for CDL pretty much right away, but I've heard if you are in employment whilst studying they will not give you full amount to cover fees?

My personal circumstances are that even working full time, I will not be able to afford any of my fees at the moment as I support myself and my partner on my income alone. I want to study this degree to help further me in my current career so for this and financial reasons leaving employment isn't an option. Do they take this in to account or is it just the overall rule that they do not fully fund those in work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

"You can use a PCDL to help with course fees up to 80% of the total, or up to 100% if you've been unemployed for three months."

So, if you're working, you're automatically only eligible for 80% of tuition fees -- they don't take anything 'into account'. Surely if you're working full time you'll be able to cover the remaining 20% though? I guess it depends how much the course fees are, though. Perhaps consider a credit card?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for both your comments, I was just wondering what people in similar situations had done.

Since it is definitely 80% I can budget in accordance to the remaining £1000-odd difference between now and September.

Plus as Laurakate1988 recommended I can always defer (luckily with course only a few months) if it all goes south :smile:

Quick Reply