How to improve written and verbal communication skills? Watch

Haniya223
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a first year university student. My English is very bad because I am new to this country.I want to improve my communication skills.
Can someone please suggest me some ways of improving English and communication skills.
Thanks
Derwent Students
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey there,

Based on your post, your English is not that bad

However, the best way to improve is... to practice, practice and practice some more! You will improve your written communication through uni assignments and by reading as many books in English as possible.

To improve your spoken English, it might be a good idea to join some societies. You'll get the chance to make new friends, do something that you enjoy and more importantly... socialize, in English. There are other things you can do, like watch movies without subtitles or try to use English subtitles. When you listen to music, try to listen to the words. Google Translate and dictionaries are good tools that will help you improve. Another thing you can do is to read out loud, hearing yourself read will help you spot your mistakes better.

Good luck!
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do they do anything at uni that might be able to help? It might be worth going to speak to your student support service?
Amulet
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My uni offered free courses for international students to improve their academic english writing, perhaps you could see if this is something your university might offer as well? I attended one during my first year and I helped me out a lot
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same advice as for anyone looking to improve their written English: read lots in the style you wish to adopt. So if you're doing a history degree, read history textbooks that you know are well-written. Scientific subjects, again read stuff written in the recognised style.

And for spoken English, I really wouldn't worry - just get on with making friends, going to the shops, watching TV etc. and you'll have seen improvements before you know it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.23%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.35%
Not great so far... (251)
35.75%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.66%

Watched Threads