Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Referring to a large named drainage basin, explain how natural processes can change fluvial landforms.

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Referring to a large named drainage basin, explain how natural processes can change fluvial landforms.

Any ideas?
    were doing drainage basins too but i have no clue what fluvial landforms are :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    were doing drainage basins too but i have no clue what fluvial landforms are :eek:
    Hehe, you're so cute! I guess it means things like deltas, levees, meanders, pools, rifles? Hmm. Dunno!

ReputationRep:
    Wolfy, sweetie, hunny, baby
    Do you have any case studies for rivers (doesn't have to be this q). I've only got the Nile (which is only good for deltas and fertile soils) and the River Lemon (which I'm using for flood management). You got any more?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Mississippi for flood managemnt and Huang He for dams or something i think. I don't actually remember the majority of my case studies :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I am doing Mississippi for flood managemnt and Huang He for dams or something i think. I don't actually remember the majority of my case studies :eek:
    Do you have any case studies for 'explain the physical and human factors affecting a named river regeime?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any case studies for 'explain the physical and human factors affecting a named river regeime?
    Erm i think the Huang He river may fit there as the type of rock it flows through is very easily erodable. Therefore it has a huge sediment load. Human factors that affect it is the building of the Aswan dam that blocks the sediment , and has led to problems downstream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    Erm i think the Huang He river may fit there as the type of rock it flows through is very easily erodable. Therefore it has a huge sediment load. Human factors that affect it is the building of the Aswan dam that blocks the sediment , and has led to problems downstream.
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Wolfy, sweetie, hunny, baby
    Do you have any case studies for rivers (doesn't have to be this q). I've only got the Nile (which is only good for deltas and fertile soils) and the River Lemon (which I'm using for flood management). You got any more?
    oh im doing yangtze and river ribble, whats rivver Lemon? sounds cool

ReputationRep:
    Use your local river. It is much easier to answer these questions if you can talk (confidantly) about specific areas and places, that you know well. Using a big famous river isn't necessarily the best thing for two reasons. One, everyone will rehash the same stuff over and over again (Nile, Amazon, Mississippi), and an examiner might appreciate something a little different. Secondly, you probably know more than you think about you local area, and if the facts and figures you learn have an immediate application it is often easier to remember.

Physical factors can be the rock types and gradient etc

Human factor will be channeling, dredging, abstraction addition (In London there's the Thames Barrier which is big enough for anyone!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    oh im doing yangtze and river ribble, whats rivver Lemon? sounds cool
    It's a small river in Devon, that I did some work on during my field trip there. And guess what the start of it's called? That's right, the Lemon source! Hehe. Made me laugh anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Ellie - which board are you taking for Geo? and is it at AS or A2 level...out of interest. I would be able to help as i have to retake "the physical environment" AS paper OCR. I just havent started revising for it yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)
    Ellie - which board are you taking for Geo? and is it at AS or A2 level...out of interest. I would be able to help as i have to retake "the physical environment" AS paper OCR. I just havent started revising for it yet!
    AS, Edexcel. I expect there are some overlaps with OCR though.

ReputationRep:
    When i start "re-revising" for it, i will post all the case studies i know up here for anyone who might be interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)
    When i start "re-revising" for it, i will post all the case studies i know up here for anyone who might be interested.
    Thanks

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.