Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing A2 level British imperialism and decolonisation? I've having a really hard time getting my head around it. I've decided to prioritise like this:

1. India, Caribbean and Africa
    2. Empire in the Far East
    3. White dominions
    4. Middle East interests
    5. anything else i haven't said yet.

Also main turning points I might concentrate on:
    For India: First and second world war, Amritsar massacre, the 1857-58 Mutiny, and any major steps taken in the Indian National Congress
    For far east: Second world war
    FOr white dominions: boer war and other imperial wars as such, balfour definition, imperial committees and the Statute of Westminster
    For middle east and egypt: Suez crisis, the struma thing, the holocaust, arab rebellion of 36 to 39 and a few more
    Anything I've missed? Plus how are you gonna study this unit?

(Original post by rutera)
    Anyone doing A2 level British imperialism and decolonisation? I've having a really hard time getting my head around it. I've decided to prioritise like this:

1. India, Caribbean and Africa
    2. Empire in the Far East
    3. White dominions
    4. Middle East interests
    5. anything else i haven't said yet.

Also main turning points I might concentrate on:
    For India: First and second world war, Amritsar massacre, the 1857-58 Mutiny, and any major steps taken in the Indian National Congress
    For far east: Second world war
    FOr white dominions: boer war and other imperial wars as such, balfour definition, imperial committees and the Statute of Westminster
    For middle east and egypt: Suez crisis, the struma thing, the holocaust, arab rebellion of 36 to 39 and a few more
    Anything I've missed? Plus how are you gonna study this unit?
    We are supposed to revise for it using the notes we made in class in addition to a revision guide that my college History department put together for us. You seem to be pretty organised about what to revise so you should have no problems, I've done a bit of question spotting on the past papers and my money is on a question (b) about either stategic imperialism or the rise of nationalist movements (the second one seems more likely).

ReputationRep:
    They won't ask specifically on the Caribbean or the middle east as colonies. The main two are obviously India and Africa, but try to see what an impact the other minor colonies were.

Also, international relations as a reason for expansion, dismantling of empire is very important. AS is the historical theories, e.g. AJP Taylor, or Lenin.

The questions seem to follow the same pattern, so look at past papers...

What other topics are you doing? (Unit 4/6)

I'm doing Vietnam/Korea for Unit 4, and Nazi State for the synoptic.

(Original post by Specialheffa)
    They won't ask specifically on the Caribbean or the middle east as colonies. The main two are obviously India and Africa, but try to see what an impact the other minor colonies were.

Also, international relations as a reason for expansion, dismantling of empire is very important. AS is the historical theories, e.g. AJP Taylor, or Lenin.

The Nazi state synoptic is one that scares me (well it would if my Histroy grade counted towards my uni offer anyway!! ). I think it should be ok though providing the sources aren't as shite as the specimin paper they produced.

ReputationRep:
    Hs anyone done revision on Conservative Ascendancy and Liberal Reform? Does anyone know any good revision sites for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)

Yeah, that's why I haven't given the middle east as much priority as India and Africa but thanks for the tip on the Caribbean. I guess for the 'how much was x a turning point' the Caribbean nor the middle east are likely to come up. I haven't studied historical theories for this unit (I thought that was more for paper 6), I didn't think it was necessary and my class haven't done anything on it so do you know any good sites for that?

Btw, which examining board are you using for history? I'm on Edexcel.I'm also doing the Nazi state for synoptic and my other paper is Appeasement tho it's called British foreign policy before the war.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.