Khaleesi9000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey!
So I'm wondering if I'd be able to do history (maybe combined with English lit or politics) at a top uni - looking especially at Oxford and Durham - with these grades ect. Also any tips on how to make me seem more impressive? I'm also wondering if gold d of e matters a lot I've done bronze but recently dropped out of gold will this effect my chances a lot?

Grades - GCSE
English Lit A*
English Lang A*
maths B
Statistics C
history A*
Religious Studies A*
french A
Science B
science core B
Media A
Drama A

My AS predicted grades are all As for History, Psychology, English Lit and English Lang

extra stuff I do is a writers club, volunteering at Oxfam, Bronze d of e and I play guitar.
Thank you!
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Khaleesi9000)
Hey!
So I'm wondering if I'd be able to do history (maybe combined with English lit or politics) at a top uni - looking especially at Oxford and Durham - with these grades ect. Also any tips on how to make me seem more impressive? I'm also wondering if gold d of e matters a lot I've done bronze but recently dropped out of gold will this effect my chances a lot?

Grades - GCSE
English Lit A*
English Lang A*
maths B
Statistics C
history A*
Religious Studies A*
french A
Science B
science core B
Media A
Drama A

My AS predicted grades are all As for History, Psychology, English Lit and English Lang

extra stuff I do is a writers club, volunteering at Oxfam, Bronze d of e and I play guitar.
Thank you!
Top unis couldn't care less about non relevant extra curricular activities- so they will only really care about anything History related. Choosing some high brow history books to read would be far better. You're GCSE's are a tiny bit below the average Oxbridge applicant but your A-Level results will hold far more weight. Do be aware if it's Cambridge you want to apply for they look for 90%+ UMS at AS and for the strongest application you'd want to keep up History (obviously) and English Lit as they are more highly regarded than the other two.
Khaleesi9000
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you! Are there any books you'd recommend?
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Black and Macraild's Studying History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry I can't really help with that as I didn't apply for History but think what areas you are particularly interested in to help narrow things down.
holly_1994
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As for reading, I've just posted on a different thread regarding books I read in my first year. I'm not sure how to link it directly, so I'll leave the link here. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3417365

Please don't give too much thought to DofE. Universities really don't care about these things, and would rather you devoted that time to studying that bit more. You're clearly very able, looking at your grades, so don't waste time on things that don't count.

Your grades seem more than fine, but even if you rocked up with straight A*s at GCSE and A level, there's still a high chance you might not get an offer from Oxford. It is super-competitive to get an offer from Oxbridge universities, and all unis, including Oxbridge, put a lot of stock in your interview, personal statement and academic reference. Don't be disheartened if you don't get a place at Oxford/the grades to go, as you should be able to get a place at another fantastic Russell Group university, based on your expected grades.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you get what you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (599)
33.88%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (738)
41.74%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (352)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.47%

Watched Threads