Big, multi-lane roundabouts?

Watch
studentusername_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Getting really stuck on which lanes to be in on big multi-lane roundabouts. Is there a general rule anyone can give me? I know to stay left lane to go left and generally left lane for 2nd exit, but from 3rd exit onwards is it usually right lane? Does the 12 o'clock rule apply, so if the 3rd exit is before 12 o'clock do you stay left? Thanks!
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There is no general rule. Almost always, there is a large sign and road markings advising you which lane to take. It still doesn't stop most newbies to the layout from getting confused though. I still go wrong at a roundabout near where I live and I have only been using it for 7 years!
gggggg4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by studentusername_)
Getting really stuck on which lanes to be in on big multi-lane roundabouts. Is there a general rule anyone can give me? I know to stay left lane to go left and generally left lane for 2nd exit, but from 3rd exit onwards is it usually right lane? Does the 12 o'clock rule apply, so if the 3rd exit is before 12 o'clock do you stay left? Thanks!
Sometimes what helps me is if I stay in a right hand lane until I see the exit before I need to take (I. E 3rd exit if I'm taking the 4th). At that point I indicate left to get in one of the lanes going towards the next exit. I think that can work in alot of scenarios but I still struggle with some
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally the bigger ones will have specific markings and instructions. (if not, i'll generally use the 12 o'clock thing as a guide, while still keeping my eyes open)

i got a right fright in a lesson when i realised the lanes on a big roundabout spiraled into literally nothing, if you tried going right the way round you'd likely die...

Remember, in every council there is a total jackass who thinks they are a road guru and wants a pet project. *looks at Cambridge, witheringly*
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
TheDE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If the roundabout is spiral you may find this easier, but nearly all roundabouts have signs and markings on the lanes to tell you which lane to be in. Local knowledge definitely helps
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is always a sign and marking telling you what lane to be in for what exit. If its last exit, signs will point to far right lane, you need to then move in after each exit you pass unless someone is being a tool and hogs the wrong lane out of laziness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (47)
14.11%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.81%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.34%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.91%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.41%

Watched Threads