Why is American so racist? USA society and poltics Watch

buttered
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I feel a bit concerned how ignorant/uneducated I am concerning the very real racism within America in terms of the police and the Republican party. For example, I have researched some data and there seems to be a divide between white people voting Republican and black people voting Democrat? Why is this? I know there is no definite answer but I was wondering if there was a strong reason eg immigration causing hatred or religious influence, I have no idea.
I really don't mean to sound ignorant or offensive I would just like to be educated
24yearsSpurs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ljb.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well the Democrat Party did initiate a lot of major civil rights reforms in the mid-20th century that helped legally emancipate the black population. They also introduced a lot of welfare programmes, which help the disproportionately poorer black population.

The Republicans aren't racist, however as the party moved towards the hard right in the 1980s they picked up a lot of racist members. But it must be remembered that it was the Republican Party that freed the slaves, and it was the Democrat party which imposed serious legal restrictions and segregation on black american's in the South. Once upon a time blacks voted for the Republicans, and Southern whites voted Democrat. In fact Democrats in the South were so annoyed some even split off into the 'Dixiecrats' in 1948, and some of those wounds never healed.

The Republicans rely upon a largely rural population of white voters, along with the affluent middle class. They are inclined towards the party due to their conservative values and smaller tax rate policy. The Democrats moved towards more liberal values, and a higher emphasis on left wing policies such as welfare programmes, which helped them secure a core vote in urban areas, especially those with an ethnically diverse make-up.

There are cases of institutional racism in certain American police forces. A part of this problem is the ethnic background of police forces, often you'll have predominately white police forces in predominately black areas. This creates tension within the community, and can create an adversarial atmosphere where neither side believes in the other, and they feel in conflict. However a lot of the recent cases are more to do with poor training and bad applicants who shouldn't have been police officers in the first case. Also crime rates in some African American communities tends to be higher due to higher levels of poverty and unemployment, so of course police forces will face different challenges in these areas.

Religion plays a part. It was the evangelical movement's takeover of the Republicans in the 1980s, creating the so called 'Christian Right' which has made the party appear so crazy to us largely secular Europeans. They have dragged the party backwards on so many issues, and because they have become so influential in the party, and the Christian Right vote so crucial to a Republican victory no one dare challenges them. However this has less to do with race, the evangelical movement in itself is not racist. However within black protestant churches there tends to be a focus on social justice, with a political emphasis on left wing concerns such as poverty whereas traditionally white protestant churches have preached individual responsibility, with a political emphasis and right wing stance on issues such as abortion of gay rights. It is not the cause of the problem in anyway in my opinion, just a symptom of it with the discrepancies between black and white protestant churches. (of course ignoring the many many racially diverse churches which is another topic in itself)

Race in America is complicated, and it runs deep. It is almost impossible to fully grasp the complexities and seriousness of it. I hope this has at least provided some information, and made you more inclined to look deeper into it. There is a ton of great information out there on the internet. But feel free to ask for any more if needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (504)
59.79%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.1%
No- I want it (239)
28.35%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.76%

Watched Threads