comparing your child hood dream Job with your current career

Watch
tmckinnin56
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What did you want to be when you were older, when you were younger? I went through all the typical boyhood fantasies: being a fireman and driving a big, red truck to extinguish fires; an archaeologist styled on Indiana Jones; astronaut going into space; doctor treating swathes of badly injured patients like George Clooney...yada yada yada.If you were lucky enough to successfully pursue you lifelong ambition, is it worth it? Does it live up to your expectations from when your were younger? If you always wanted to be a pilot, or a paramedic, is it as glamourous as you had always hoped?

If you ended up working the 9-5 for some bland business conglomerate in a nondescript tower block in Hackney, where did it all go wrong? Failed in school, or just grew up and changed your career path??
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tmckinnin56)
What did you want to be when you were older
A scientist

(Original post by tmckinnin56)
If you ended up working the 9-5 for some bland business conglomerate in a nondescript tower block in Hackney, where did it all go wrong?
Realised I was crap at science.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I distinctly remember watching TOTP in the early 90's and looking at the people in the background dancing about and miming (not the audience) and decided right there and then that I wanted that job, whatever it was. They looked like they were having a great time throwing shapes in day glow t-shirts and Adidas poppers.

I grew up and hated dance lessons because everyone just took the piss out of each other and I can't sing (not that you need to be able to sing to mime on TOTP).

Anyway, I long since relinquished my dream of prancing about to electro music on TOTP, not least because TOTP is a TV fossil now but because I just really don't fancy prancing about in a day glow t-shirt and Adidas poppers to eletro music on national TV. Growing up tends to have that effect. But when I had an office job (the sheer boredom of it), I would have pranced around to electro music on TV for money if someone offered it, in fact I probably would have pranced around to electro music anywhere for money if someone offered it.
Nyssa_J
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wanted to work within the feild of forensics when i was 11... and here I am studying a forensic related degree :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
I distinctly remember watching TOTP in the early 90's and looking at the people in the background dancing about and miming (not the audience) and decided right there and then that I wanted that job, whatever it was. They looked like they were having a great time throwing shapes in day glow t-shirts and Adidas poppers.

I grew up and hated dance lessons because everyone just took the piss out of each other and I can't sing (not that you need to be able to sing to mime on TOTP).

Anyway, I long since relinquished my dream of prancing about to electro music on TOTP, not least because TOTP is a TV fossil now but because I just really don't fancy prancing about in a day glow t-shirt and Adidas poppers to eletro music on national TV. Growing up tends to have that effect. But when I had an office job (the sheer boredom of it), I would have pranced around to electro music on TV for money if someone offered it, in fact I probably would have pranced around to electro music anywhere for money if someone offered it.
Singing isn't solely innate. Pretty much anyone can learn how to sing given enough time. It's kind like lifting a lot.
coinín
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wanted to be an Archæologist for years and years, but realised that it was more about Geology than History and that the pay was terrible. I wish I followed it through, sort of, as Geology is one of my current interests!

I'm currently unemployed, but I'd like a job as a technician or programmer.

I've thought about possibly studying to become a geologist, as they get paid pretty well, but I don't really want to be working for a big mining company, as that's where all the high salaries are located.
nemoshish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At young age I used to make tunnels in beach and always loved construction machinery ( I loved 360 digger). Now about to start working as Civil Engineer in London.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
then: Investment Banking, probably FO in a BB (maybe New York? Undecided)
now: Claims adjuster, Prudential Insurance, Guildford.

EDIT: Oh hang on, that's not me and is half the dipsticks on here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (20)
15.5%
No one else does (46)
35.66%
I'm embarrassed about my background (15)
11.63%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (40)
31.01%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.55%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.1%

Watched Threads