Parents and not going to uni Watch

woolfborn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've told my parents I don't want to go to uni after getting in. It's not something that I want to do anymore so don't want to pay that much money to do something I don't want to do.

My parents have lost it at me, saying i'm going to spend my life flipping burgers etc. And now I owe them rent out of the little money I earn.

Any advice as to how to deal with this, it's constant belittling, telling me i'm a failure and tell me that they are disappointed in me etc.
orange crush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go to uni, spend a few years getting pissed, enjoy your youth and scrape a 2:1
woolfborn
Rep:
?
(Original post by orange crush)
Go to uni, spend a few years getting pissed, enjoy your youth and scrape a 2:1
The thing is, I don't want to. I don't want to spend 3 years of my life in education and then owe £50k odd afterwards. Also, the courses that I chose (Marine Biology I firmed on) I feel like they are soft subjects with not much of career prospects.
Pink Boy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by woolfborn)
The thing is, I don't want to. I don't want to spend 3 years of my life in education and then owe £50k odd afterwards. Also, the courses that I chose (Marine Biology I firmed on) I feel like they are soft subjects with not much of career prospects.
Your parents are just worried you don't have a plan. You've got to do something, and at this stage, it's usually working or further education.

How about apprenticeships? Or even working anywhere in a full-time job, and then working your way up the ladder.
woolfborn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pink Boy)
Your parents are just worried you don't have a plan. You've got to do something, and at this stage, it's usually working or further education.

How about apprenticeships? Or even working anywhere in a full-time job, and then working your way up the ladder.
I currently have a full time job
ComputerMaths97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to be silly enough to first not go University and secondly ignore your parents advice, then nobody here can help you. You've clearly already done the damage to your life, considering you clearly don't care for education, so I know as a fact you didn't try your absolute hardest for your exams.

Best of luck to you, you'll need it

Parents ONLY want what's best for their child. And if you're willing to go through the breaking-up of relationship between you and your parents for 3 years of study and then a better life afterwards, then nobody here can help you.

Your decisions, you must suffer any consequences.
woolfborn
Rep:
?
(Original post by joe12345marc)
If you want to be silly enough to first not go University and secondly ignore your parents advice, then nobody here can help you. You've clearly already done the damage to your life, considering you clearly don't care for education, so I know as a fact you didn't try your absolute hardest for your exams.

Best of luck to you, you'll need it

Parents ONLY want what's best for their child. And if you're willing to go through the breaking-up of relationship between you and your parents for 3 years of study and then a better life afterwards, then nobody here can help you.

Your decisions, you must suffer any consequences.
You're saying it as if it will completely mess up my life if I don't go to uni. Please explain how?

"You've clearly already done the damage to your life considering you don't care for education" I live my life as I can. I have gotten the highest possible grade in my course thank you very much. Don't be fast to judge.

Honestly, you seem like a very narrow minded person, but it's great to see different sides of the story.
TimeWalker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't believe all the hype about going. It can be better to work up from a full time job - you can always go later. Many degrees are useless, debt, opportunity cost etc. You can always give it time and see if you want to go down the road.
woolfborn
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimeWalker)
Don't believe all the hype about going. It can be better to work up from a full time job - you can always go later. Many degrees are useless, debt, opportunity cost etc. You can always give it time and see if you want to go down the road.
That's half what i'm thinking. Perhaps a break in education is what I need first.
TimeWalker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's half what i'm thinking. Perhaps a break in education is what I need first.
If you're about 18 you can easily do that and have a break for a year or two and see whether you like working full time.

Your general instincts are correct.

And waiting before going back into education isn't something to worry about.
ComputerMaths97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're saying it as if it will completely mess up my life if I don't go to uni. Please explain how?

"You've clearly already done the damage to your life considering you don't care for education" I live my life as I can. I have gotten the highest possible grade in my course thank you very much. Don't be fast to judge.

Honestly, you seem like a very narrow minded person, but it's great to see different sides of the story.
Maybe there's your problem, you don't see the point of going to University! Damn, did your parents go to University? Surely they must've explained to you why you should go.

The "highest possible grade" doesn't mean much these days. They're very common among University applicants. I could get A's is my main three without trying my hardest. It's obvious that you didn't achieve the best score you could've because you don't see the point of further education.

I can only judge on what information you have given me. If my opinion is the rare "different side to the story" then I really can't help you.

The truth is, if you really don't get the point of going University, then it's your fault if it doesn't end well. I'm just worried about your relationship with your parents, a similar thing happened to someone close to me with his parents, yet something horrible occurred before he was able to fix it.

University is almost always the best opportunity if you're getting "the highest possible grade" in your course. And I don't know where you got 50k expenses from :P Make money during summers, and if you're not going to a top 3 University then you can even get a part time job during study, and pay for half of it by the time you're done!

I think you don't want to do it because you haven't actually found a course you want to study. Which is completely fair. I on the one hand am really excited to study my Degree for 3-4 hopefully more years. And add to it, it adds 100x better career opportunities for me afterwards than if I just stick with A levels as my highest level of education.

I also think that the fact you made this post shows you're confused a little. And when you're confused, you should listen to your parents. Their experience and knowledge is priceless when you're young and can't decide upon your life.
thetruekimbo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your pretty lucky to have parents who want you to stay on in education. My parents arent really bothered about me even going, and I want to go

They probably think they are not putting pressure on me by being too eager and most likely want me to stay at home, but I wish they were the uni-conscious parents at all the open days haha lol
AdamADC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Smash your exams to get the beast grade you can. Almost certain you can change your course when you get there. Good grades leaves the whole university at your feet, plus it sounds like you could do with a 3 year break from them if they don't respect your choice enough

Sidenote: I'm sure they're nice enough people just a little upset you've spent the last 14 years in education only to get cold feet a couple months before?
katieMCR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Marine Biology isn't the most widely available job and you will most likely have to spend your first year volunteering to get recognition in that area. but after you do get in a job then you are most likely there for life. you would have to travel across the country aswell so make sure you have the money for that. if you already have a place then I say go for it anyway. you will enjoy it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads