Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The solution is simple - no coursework.

Otherwise you have to accept that plagiarism is going to happen and that you cannot always detect reliably every time.

ReputationRep:
    But its often impossible not to have coursework, if my course didn't have coursework it would be pointless, who wants web designers who know everything about colour charts and how JPEGs are compressed but has no programming or web development experience?

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of a few people that have copied others work on minor coursework.

I must admit that I've had to ask myself whether what I've done should be counted as plagarism. i.e. when relaying a story (e.g. Fermat's Last Theorem), reading the source, then rewriting it in my own words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    But its often impossible not to have coursework, if my course didn't have coursework it would be pointless, who wants web designers who know everything about colour charts and how JPEGs are compressed but has no programming or web development experience
    Design coursework that is non-standardised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Design coursework that is non-standardised.
    They do believe me, and they always usualy spot it, for my Java assignment for example they gave us a template he had to use, so we coudnt just cheat.

Another easy way to spot programming cheats is when the tutor asks them to demonstrate it and they say somthing like "was this achieved by session varialbes" and their like "errr err"

ReputationRep:
    They do believe me, and they always usualy spot it, for my Java assignment for example they gave us a template he had to use, so we coudnt just cheat.

Another easy way to spot programming cheats is when the tutor asks them to demonstrate it and they say somthing like "was this achieved by session varialbes" and their like "errr err"
    Not everything is software engineering amazingtrade? :rolleyes:

It can be hard to come up with novel essay titles, every year, for every assessment exercise in some subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Not everything is software engineering amazingtrade? :rolleyes:

It can be hard to come up with novel essay titles, every year, for every assessment exercise in some subjects.
    Yeah but they don't have to change it every year do they? Maybe rotate them every 3-4 years or somthing. I think arts subjects are much harder to spot than a lot of science based ones as its very easy to cover up writing styles and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    It would have to be every year to be truly effective. There are websites which produce "custom-made" essays these days. A 3-4 year rotation cycle is just too long.

And it is not unheard of for students in the upper years to pass on materials ... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I'm aware of a few people that have copied others work on minor coursework.

I must admit that I've had to ask myself whether what I've done should be counted as plagarism. i.e. when relaying a story (e.g. Fermat's Last Theorem), reading the source, then rewriting it in my own words.
    Well as long as you reference it you will be fine. That's the real difference whether you refernce it correctly or not.

ReputationRep:
    So you can't have problems with rewriting something in your own words (in a good way)(and referencing it)?

Does anyone have experience with translating essays from a different language to english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

And it is not unheard of for students in the upper years to pass on materials ... :mad:

but in maths is it possible to plagarise....i have last years work....and its identical to mine, even the coursework questions are...and were fully expecting the exam to be. so if i look at someone elses answers and copy them...it that plagarism, because even if i did it myself, it would be identical?

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    but in maths is it possible to plagarise....i have last years work....and its identical to mine, even the coursework questions are...and were fully expecting the exam to be. so if i look at someone elses answers and copy them...it that plagarism, because even if i did it myself, it would be identical?

love Katy ***
    But don;t they try and catch people out at random? i.e ask what methodology you used to come to those results?

ReputationRep:
    But don;t they try and catch people out at random? i.e ask what methodology you used to come to those results?

they cant catch people out. its all in our notes. you can say you followed the example, and all workings must be shown anyway,,so they'd look quite stupid asking how you did it.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a weird one I must admit. Novelity is a bit difficult to obtain unless you are doing something applied.

ReputationRep:
    I admit for my GCSE coursework I got my dad to quite a bit of it for me . I think for GCSE thats standard practise though, A level/Degrees though its different. If anybody cheated A level maths/degree coursework would be worthless.

ReputationRep:
    I admit for my GCSE coursework I got my dad to quite a bit of it for me . I think for GCSE thats standard practise though, A level/Degrees though its different. If anybody cheated A level maths/degree coursework would be worthless.
    That's so wrong! My parents are lecturers in the subjects I did for GCSE and they never once helped other than to read my drafts. My help came from other classmates. Separate science courseworks, hehe, I think I did two of the six by myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    That's so wrong! My parents are lecturers in the subjects I did for GCSE and they never once helped other than to read my drafts. My help came from other classmates. Separate science courseworks, hehe, I think I did two of the six by myself.
    Well I got a D in the overal subject really so it didn't help me. I did all work my dad just discovered the magic formula. . My science teacher also did one of my biology course works for me, well I did it then she said it needs improving so she went through every page with me and told me what to do add.

All the other GCSE course work I did was 100% of my own work though.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got a D in the overal subject really so it didn't help me. I did all work my dad just discovered the magic formula. . My science teacher also did one of my biology course works for me, well I did it then she said it needs improving so she went through every page with me and told me what to do add.

All the other GCSE course work I did was 100% of my own work though.
    I was just rather pants at science until I started revising for the main exams (we did all the coursework in year 10). At the time though, it was common practise for 7 people to go in an MSN convo and exchange their courseworks. I can remember writing a certain science coursework with 4 others in front of me. I was just really rubbish at obtaining results and knew feck all theory at the time, so i needed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I was just rather pants at science until I started revising for the main exams (we did all the coursework in year 10). At the time though, it was common practise for 7 people to go in an MSN convo and exchange their courseworks. I can remember writing a certain science coursework with 4 others in front of me. I was just really rubbish at obtaining results and knew feck all theory at the time, so i needed it!
    We never had MSN in my dad, although I was one of two people in the class to have internet access at home. It was 1999 when I sat my GCSEs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.