The Student Room Group

Is University easier in America?

I heard subjects like English and History are really poorly taught so any bloke can ace their tests in those subjects, do they basically learn at A-Level difficulty in subjects like English at university? (Of course this is excluding the Ivy Leagues and other top 15 universities)

I just don't understand, it's just as Economics is viewed as a poor subject in China and most competitive students do Business Administration in China while it's the opposite here in the UK. It's bizarre to me.
Original post by grassntai
I heard subjects like English and History are really poorly taught so any bloke can ace their tests in those subjects, do they basically learn at A-Level difficulty in subjects like English at university? (Of course this is excluding the Ivy Leagues and other top 15 universities)

I just don't understand, it's just as Economics is viewed as a poor subject in China and most competitive students do Business Administration in China while it's the opposite here in the UK. It's bizarre to me.

The grade boundaries are higher in America so the exams must be a bit easier. Would be pretty unrealistic to expect like 1/3 of the class to be getting 90% plus on a UK style exam
Reply 2
Way harder
Reply 3
Original post by demx9
Way harder

You have exp?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

American grades:

Reply 5

Different countries have different cultures what a surprise.

The reason economics is so hard to get into is because the majority of UK A-Level students want to work in investment banking and earn £100,000 before the age of 30 but to do that you need to study Economics at a top uni, so all the competition pushes up grade requirements etc
Reply 6
Original post by James222

The reason economics is so hard to get into is because the majority of UK A-Level students want to work in investment banking and earn £100,000 before the age of 30 but to do that you need to study Economics at a top uni, so all the competition pushes up grade requirements etc

You do not need to study economics to go into investment banking.
Reply 7
Original post by Noble.
You do not need to study economics to go into investment banking.

well conventional wisdom says otherwise
Reply 8

Sarcasm gets you nowhere :tongue:

Yuck never saw the attraction to IB but I guess I understand. Funny how many bankers are already from rich backgrounds coming from private schools and yet they want to get richer, what a way to live man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
well conventional wisdom says otherwise

The reality also says otherwise. A higher proportion of economics grads go into IB but economics grads do not form the majority of people entering IB.
Sarcasm gets you nowhere :tongue:

Yuck never saw the attraction to IB but I guess I understand. Funny how many bankers are already from rich backgrounds coming from private schools and yet they want to get richer, what a way to live man.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol sorry I just like being passive aggressive :/

Original post by Noble.
The reality also says otherwise. A higher proportion of economics grads go into IB but economics grads do not form the majority of people entering IB.

Economics or Maths is still your best bet for a career in IB. Economic grads are the clear favorites by a long margin. UCAS applications are not based on reality but careers advice from public sector employees

we the same thing at the master level, any masters with the word economics in it will be alot more expensive than say a masters in management even if the content is 50% the same.

Quick Reply

Latest