Student Loan - BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science.

Watch
simonp001
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
We have been living overseas for the past 7 years.
My son will be 18 in August 2015 and is returning to study for a BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science - Starting in September 2015
(2 year full time course)

He will be resident for tax purposes and is in the process for applying for part time work - so he will be classified as a UK resident for the 2 years.

Questions:
1 - as he has just turned 18 - is he eligible for funding ?
2 - if not eligible for funding - is he eligible for a student loan ?
3 - is he eligible for any grant/funding towards accommodation expenses ?
4 - does anyone have any recommendations for student bank accounts (Not HSBC - bad experiences)

thanks in advance.

Si
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by simonp001)
My son will be 18 in August 2015 and is returning to study for a BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science - Starting in September 2015

He will be resident for tax purposes and is in the process for applying for part time work - so he will be classified as a UK resident for the 2 years.

Questions:
4 - does anyone have any recommendations for student bank accounts (Not HSBC - bad experiences)

thanks in advance.

Si
As he has not been living here for the last three years, I'm afraid he probably isn't eligible for any kind of funding at this stage. You will need to consult with Student Finance England about his particular circumstances; if you can show that he was living abroad because you (his parents) were posted there by your employers (eg the army, diplomatic service) this may help.

As for student bank accounts - check out the consumer watch online forums would be where I'd start. All banks screw up sometimes, it's just a question of how often and how significantly they manage to do it.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by simonp001)

Questions:

thanks in advance.

Si
As he has not been living here for the last three years, I'm afraid he probably isn't eligible for any kind of funding at this stage. You will need to consult with Student Finance England about his particular circumstances; if you can show that he was living abroad because you (his parents) were posted there by your employers (eg the army, diplomatic service) this may help.

As for student bank accounts - check out the consumer watch online forums would be where I'd start. All banks screw up sometimes, it's just a question of how often and how significantly they manage to do it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (38)
5.81%
Uncertainty around my education (77)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
11.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (83)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.66%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.66%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (70)
10.7%
Financial worries (41)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (26)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (39)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (19)
2.91%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (63)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (52)
7.95%

Watched Threads