This discussion is closed.
Jock
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hey guys and gals

New member here, I'm not looking to get spoon-fed, just some ideas and input will help.

Backround

I'm about to start my 3rd year of my Media and Cultural Studies Degree and as you may have guessed, I have a 10,000 word dissertation to submit by mid May next year. My grades over the past 2 years have been ok, but I'd really like to write a kickass dissertation to put me in the clear.

My Dissertation

I have chosen to cover the events of September 11th 2001, and media coverage of it, I have stated that I will use participant observation as my main research method, which means that I will be looking at newspapers/watching footage etc I have seen some very useful books on amazon that I'll get asap.

My Problem

I have no real idea what my research question will be. There is very little literature on the subject availible to me (apart from the books I will purchase on amazon), media studies at times can have very abstract concepts that are hard (for me) to grasp, I would like to choose a research question that I can fully understand and engage with as well as prove/disprove as convincingly as I can using the literature availible to me.

Now I don't know much about this board, I found it on a search on google. I just hope you guys can give me a bit more of an idea as to what I should do. Like I said before, many of the questions I've asked are very general so please don't flame me, I'm only looking for some general input.

Thanks, Jock.
Surfing Hamster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could investigate to what extent media coverage has helped people come to terms with the events of September 11th.

Gather research from the internet in varying cultures around the world, and message boards such as this where people will have posted their thoughts and feelings.

This could lead onto how important the media is in our daily lives, the social unity such events bring within cultures, and just how vital coverage of September 11th was.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You could also do how different regions, countries, religions, societies, political backgrounds, reported the news, and their slant/opinion on the events of 9-11. e.g. the celebrationary type reporting by some arabic news agencies, in comparrisson with the anger, shock, and sadness of the US and UK news agencies.

Not sure if this helps you at all, it was just an idea, and I'm really bored at the moment anyway.

Good Luck,
Phil
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's a very sensitive issue, so whatever you do, don't write anything too controversial and you'll be fine! Be balanced and objective
Jock
BUMP for more ideas please!

Jock
Jock
Bump
shl0123
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jock)
Bump
give the guy a break bump i think he is doing ok..he seems to be on the right road..would like to know what your studying bump..

jock did media,culture and identity in my 2nd yr...but really dont think i can be of any help..kinda had giddens drummed into me..almost to the point of being brainwashed lol..email me if you think i can be of any use to you mate..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.37%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (102)
9.71%
Isolating with family (71)
6.76%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.71%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.66%
Loneliness (105)
9.99%
Financial worries (47)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (96)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.04%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.66%

Watched Threads