The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Probably yes. But that doesn't mean people will be willing to admit it.:p:
Reply 2
wesetters
For me, being in France, not Germany, I think I would be better off with the franc, simply because the prices were rounded up when they converted. On a national/international level, I haven't a clue.

No idea about France, but in Germany at least, it certainly felt like prices were rounded up. And some definitely were raised. In reality, though, that was only true of very few prices; most of them weren't, in fact (I heard a radio report on some large-scale study of prices in Germany before and after the introduction of the euro that came up with rather surprising results). And of course we mustn't forget that it's been six years now since the euro was introduced, so we can't really compare today's prices to pre-euro prices anymore; between 2001 and now, prices would probably have risen anyway, even if it hadn't been introduced.

Although I have to say, the euro still feels alien - not because I had been sentimentally attached to the previous currency, really. I know it was just money, but although this may sound a bit silly, I have so many memories that just aren't associated with this new currency. It's not the same currency as the play-money we got at primary school to help us get a "feel" for it and supposedly make doing sums easier (don't ask me where they got that bizarre idea from). It's not the currency I used to get my pocket-money in while I was at school. When I earned my first money working at a bookshop, that wasn't the currency I got my salary in. They're simply not the same coins I used to find in the streets or put in vending machines. Well, I suppose my idea of what "money" is was just formed well before 2001 (I was 19 when the euro was introduced), and there's nothing I can do about it. It isn't that I'm nostalgic for the old money or that I'd change back if I could, but if I'm quite honest, I still convert prices in my head, and so do plenty of other people I know.:dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending