‘Can anyone truly be held responsible for their actions in a court of law?’

Watch
fc67890
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing a project for philosophy and I need opposing views on this topic. These are the topics I am planning to cover ·do we have Moral responsibility·Mental illnesses- not guilty by reason of insanity’ (NGRI).·Do we have free will?·Determinism ·Upbringing- Nature vs Nurture·Temporary insanity·Children being held criminally responsible- age difference, when are they truly aware I would really appreciate peoples views and opinions.. thanks
Naomi 2709
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People who are mentally ill can't be held responsible as they are not aware of what they have done. Also children should not be held accountable for petty crimes they commit as it is the parents fault for not keeping an eye on them and the children may not be aware of difference of right and wrong at the current criminal age of responsibility
Naomi 2709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everyone has free will, life is about a series of choices. There is a certain age where everyone knows the difference between right and wrong and they need to be punished. I think children should be punished in a different way from adults like community service just not have to go to a youth detention centre
Naomi 2709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Johann von Gauss)
So when a child born into poverty, who is abused as a child, and who is mentally scarred because of this, gets into a fight with someone, is equally responsible for his own actions as a posh brat who gets into the same situation?
Yes although sympathy lies with poverty kid they are both equally responsible as they have done the same wrong to someone
24yearsSpurs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yes, they can. People can make choices.

However, this is reflected in sentencing and the facts of the case at hand.
pjm600
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fc67890)
I'm doing a project for philosophy and I need opposing views on this topic. These are the topics I am planning to cover ·do we have Moral responsibility·Mental illnesses- not guilty by reason of insanity’ (NGRI).·Do we have free will?·Determinism ·Upbringing- Nature vs Nurture·Temporary insanity·Children being held criminally responsible- age difference, when are they truly aware I would really appreciate peoples views and opinions.. thanks
Some very quick thoughts.

Free will is a very very large area to cover. I don't know what level you're writing at but it could take thousands of words to grasp that alone. Sam Harris, though I don't agree with him, writes a fairly accessible critique of the concept of free will in his book of the same title. Though even if you follow his argument, there are still grounds to prosecute to prevent the crime happening again.

Moral responsibility is also interesting but could grow arms and legs if you end up looking into virtue ethics for example, though that would provide a case for it.

Nature vs nurture also offers an interesting debate. Would the same 'person' with a different upbringing act differently?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Naomi 2709)
People who are mentally ill can't be held responsible as they are not aware of what they have done.
Not always true. I've met someone whose pretty much admitted he knew what he was doing to me; but it was still my fault and he can't help it. I was then told to accept that he harasses people, which is ok, apparently.
Naomi 2709
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OU Student)
Not always true. I've met someone whose pretty much admitted he knew what he was doing to me; but it was still my fault and he can't help it. I was then told to accept that he harasses people, which is ok, apparently.
I am sorry to hear that 😞! Maybe everyone is responsible in a court of law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (12)
57.14%
No (8)
38.1%
I don't know (1)
4.76%

Watched Threads