The Student Room Group

Has anyone EVER overcome their fear of public speaking??

My social anxiety started out of nowhere tbh.
I remember clearly the moment I felt nervous when I read out loud which was really strange. I used to LOVE reading out loud, like I'd literally read every English lesson, mostly everyday, especially in year 7. Then one day (in year 7), I raised my hand so that I could read out loud, then all of a sudden I felt nervous (that was my first time feeling nervous, so I didn't know what that strange feeling was until I googled it).

Now when ever I'm told to read out loud, I'd either give an excuse that I'm not feeling well or when the whole class is suppose to read out loud, and when I know that my turn's coming up, I'd immediately tell the teacher that I really need the toilet and I'd just sit there till the lesson's over.:frown:

I just have NO IDEA why this is happening to me, I was told that I'm scared of the other people judging me, when in reality I'm NOT, but the more I think of it like that, the more I believe it.

I get all shaky, my palms sweat, my voice get really shaky and everyone notices it, even when I read or even talk in front of others (EVEN IF IT'S IN A SMALL GROUP). Some of my friends say that they feel the same way, and get nervous but I don't really believe them cos whenever they read out loud, their voice's weren't shaky, it sounded really confident to me. How come I don't sound the same when I get nervous??:frown:

So I'm wondering has anyone ever experienced the same thing but managed to overcome this fear??

I'm still in secondary school, and I'm hoping to develop my social skills (which sounds IMPOSSIBLE to me) before I start uni.
Hey!

I have anxiety and social anxiety and although I've always loved public speaking, it has always terrified me. I mean - feeling so sick I think I'm about to puke up all of my organs terrified. Over the last year however, I've got a lot more comfortable with it. You have to remember that ever people who do it every day as part of their job still get nervous - it's not just you. Accepting that you'll probably experience the physical effects of your anxiety or fear can help, otherwise the shaking and sweaty palms is just going to frustrate you and make you more nervous. Also, just because other people seem fine doesn't mean they are, I've never met anyone who doesn't get anxious when speaking in public.

Some things I do to calm the anxiety in my mind (rather than the physical stuff): 1) remember that in 5, 10 minutes, it'll just be a memory. Maybe a good memory, maybe a bad memory but I just have to ride it out for a few more minutes and it will be OVER. Eventually, everyone in the room will forget the presentation, maybe even after the next person has gone. 2) if people judge me, its a reflection on me, not them. 3) pretend to be confident 4) don't focus on what you've already done wrong (slipped up on a word, started shaking etc...), focus on what's coming up next. What's done is done, allowing yourself to freak out even more can only hurt.

It takes a while to relearn how to respond to public speaking in a way that isn't anxiety-orientated, but I hope that you do get there!
Original post by Anonymous
My social anxiety started out of nowhere tbh.
I remember clearly the moment I felt nervous when I read out loud which was really strange. I used to LOVE reading out loud, like I'd literally read every English lesson, mostly everyday, especially in year 7. Then one day (in year 7), I raised my hand so that I could read out loud, then all of a sudden I felt nervous (that was my first time feeling nervous, so I didn't know what that strange feeling was until I googled it).

Now when ever I'm told to read out loud, I'd either give an excuse that I'm not feeling well or when the whole class is suppose to read out loud, and when I know that my turn's coming up, I'd immediately tell the teacher that I really need the toilet and I'd just sit there till the lesson's over.:frown:

I just have NO IDEA why this is happening to me, I was told that I'm scared of the other people judging me, when in reality I'm NOT, but the more I think of it like that, the more I believe it.

I get all shaky, my palms sweat, my voice get really shaky and everyone notices it, even when I read or even talk in front of others (EVEN IF IT'S IN A SMALL GROUP). Some of my friends say that they feel the same way, and get nervous but I don't really believe them cos whenever they read out loud, their voice's weren't shaky, it sounded really confident to me. How come I don't sound the same when I get nervous??:frown:

So I'm wondering has anyone ever experienced the same thing but managed to overcome this fear??

I'm still in secondary school, and I'm hoping to develop my social skills (which sounds IMPOSSIBLE to me) before I start uni.

hey I know you wrote this 7 years ago and you probably don’t use the app anymore , but i struggle with the EXACT same thing , I was just wondering if you’ve ever managed to overcome it?

Quick Reply

Latest