Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Newcastle University
Hi :smile:

The Medical School do consider applications for deferred entry. You need to explain why you want to defer and what you'll be doing in your year out. They'll only accept a deferral if they decide that you will "use your time constructively," and only if you ask in advance. They won't usually grant a deferral after an offer has been made.

So how it affects your chance of a place really depends on what your gap year plans are :smile: I don't have any details on what they consider a constructive use of time, but if you have any specific things in mind I can pass them on to the Medical School to see if they have an opinion, or it would be quicker if you e-mailed them directly at [email protected]

All the best

Persephone

Thanks a lot, I'll probably email Med school directly. Still searching around.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by arichards_
Hi
I'm looking to come to Newcastle on 2016 to study Geography and I know the entry requirements are ABB. My A-Levels did not go as well as expected so I am slighly down on my grades. I am taking some resits and having some papers remarked, however my predicted grades were only based upon my results from this year. What are the chances of being given an offer when predicted BBB, when resits are being completed?
Thank you☺

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. While predicted grades play a part in the offer making process, we will look at your full application before making a final decision, so it's certainly worth applying for 2016 entry. If you do, please make it clear in the qualification section of your application which A level subjects you are resitting.

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina

Want to apply to Newcastle University but worried you won’t get the grades? Our PARTNERS Programme could help you get a lower offer for any of our undergraduate courses*.

Join our PARTNERS live webinar on Wednesday 7 October 2015, 03:30pm 04:00pm to find out all you need to know about the programme and the range of opportunities available.

Do you need to be doing A-Levels?
Is there any extra work involved?
Do I have to attend a summer school?

Whatever you'd like to know, we'll be here to help. You can post your questions

Using #NCLanswers on Twitter or Instagram

Drop us a post on the Facebook Event page

Or send us a quick Snapchat (newcastleuni)

And our experts will answer them for you:
PARTNERS Guru Hilary Wilkinson
PARTNERS Graduate Janine Yaxley

It’s also a great chance to find out what our current and graduate students think about studying at Newcastle University.

To get live updates and reminders join our Facebook event or subscribe to our YouTube channel!

*Eligibility criteria applies. To find out more about the PARTNERS Programme and to check your eligibility, visit our website.
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. While predicted grades play a part in the offer making process, we will look at your full application before making a final decision, so it's certainly worth applying for 2016 entry. If you do, please make it clear in the qualification section of your application which A level subjects you are resitting.

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina

Thank you very much for this! I have my heart set on Newcastle so will definately be applying!
Reply 64
Thanks for your last reply Persephone, very reassuring and helpful :smile:

I was just looking at the transfer to medicine option that students on the biomedical courses can go for, and I was wondering if A Level grades play a part in the selection process or affect your application for this transfer? Or are the grades required for the transfer just solely from what you achieve in university modules?

Thanks again!
Original post by hannahbeckett
Thanks for your last reply Persephone, very reassuring and helpful :smile:

I was just looking at the transfer to medicine option that students on the biomedical courses can go for, and I was wondering if A Level grades play a part in the selection process or affect your application for this transfer? Or are the grades required for the transfer just solely from what you achieve in university modules?

Thanks again!

Hi Hannah,

A Levels are not taken into consideration, however students must have a minimum average mark of 75% across stage 1 modules and no less than 65% for any one module. They must also sit the UKCAT. More information can be found on this webpage: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/BiomedicalTransferInformationforWebsitefor2016Entry.pdf

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina
Original post by kennyhahaha
Hi,

I am currently a Canadian student and I am quite interested in applying for the A100 program at Newcastle University for 2016 entry. However, I was looking through the details of the program and I came across this particular paragraph: " International students: You are currently permitted to undertake the full Foundation Programme, ie the first two years following graduation, but you are normally required to return to your home country to complete further speciality training."

Does that mean I have limited choices in what I can do in UK medicine after my Foundation Programme and in order for me to specialize, I have to return back to Canada? I do wish to specialize in the future so is taking the UK route ideal or not ideal for me?

Thank you!

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. After completing the full foundation programme, to work in the UK you will need to register with the General Medical Council. This process is not handled by the university, but you can find out more information and contact details on their website http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/before_you_apply/imgs.asp

Sorry we can't help any further

Best wishes,

Christina
Hi again,

This year there were approx. 100 applications for the Biomedical transfer course. The UKCAT threshold for this entry route was 2780 this year.

I hope that answers your question.

Best wishes,

Christina
Reply 68
Hi there,

I am thinking of applying to the MSc International Marketing course for entry in September 2016 and I hope you can help me with a couple of questions: 1. What is the German grade equivalent to a UK 2:1 at Newcastle? 2. What is the latest date I can apply for the course or can I already apply without my final grade respectively?

Cheers!
Original post by Lagona
Hi there,

I am thinking of applying to the MSc International Marketing course for entry in September 2016 and I hope you can help me with a couple of questions: 1. What is the German grade equivalent to a UK 2:1 at Newcastle? 2. What is the latest date I can apply for the course or can I already apply without my final grade respectively?

Cheers!

Hi,

A German grade of "gut" (between a score of 2 and 3) is equivalent to a UK 2:1 honours degree. There's no closing date, but you are encouraged to apply as early as you can :smile: For International students we recommend applying no later than two months before the course is due to start (so end of June/beginning of July). You can apply before receiving your final grade, but any offer you are made is likely to be conditional.

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Reply 70
Hi,

A German grade of "gut" (between a score of 2 and 3) is equivalent to a UK 2:1 honours degree. There's no closing date, but you are encouraged to apply as early as you can :smile: For International students we recommend applying no later than two months before the course is due to start (so end of June/beginning of July). You can apply before receiving your final grade, but any offer you are made is likely to be conditional.

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Thanks for replying so quickly! :smile: I still have a few questions that I hope you can help with as well.

1. Do you have any past numbers you can share regarding the number of students in this course or the number of applicants per space? It would be interesting to know how competitive applying for this course is and if it is worth applying.

2. I would also like to know if I need to have all documents translated for the application. In this case, do you also need pre-university documents (like my school certificate) or is that not really necessary? I am asking because translations are usually quiet expensive and it would be good to keep it limited to the necessary documents.

Thank you! Hope I don´t bother you with all the questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lagona
Thanks for replying so quickly! :smile: I still have a few questions that I hope you can help with as well.

1. Do you have any past numbers you can share regarding the number of students in this course or the number of applicants per space? It would be interesting to know how competitive applying for this course is and if it is worth applying.

2. I would also like to know if I need to have all documents translated for the application. In this case, do you also need pre-university documents (like my school certificate) or is that not really necessary? I am asking because translations are usually quiet expensive and it would be good to keep it limited to the necessary documents.

Thank you! Hope I don´t bother you with all the questions.

Hi again :smile:

1. There were 80 students in the 2014 cohort for International Marketing MSc and this year's cohort is expected to be higher. There is currently no upper limit on the number of places on this programme - students are not competing with each other for places. Instead, each application is judged on its own merit and high quality applications which meet the entry criteria will be offered places.

2. We do not need school certificates to be translated, just the UG Degree and Transcript.

Hope that answers your questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina
Reply 72
Hi Hannah,

A Levels are not taken into consideration, however students must have a minimum average mark of 75% across stage 1 modules and no less than 65% for any one module. They must also sit the UKCAT. More information can be found on this webpage: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/BiomedicalTransferInformationforWebsitefor2016Entry.pdf

Hope that helps

Best wishes,

Christina

Thank you so much!! And will this transfer route be offered to students for 2017 entry? :smile:
Original post by hannahbeckett
Thank you so much!! And will this transfer route be offered to students for 2017 entry? :smile:

Hi Hannah,

Yes it will! 🙌😄

Hope that helps 😊 Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,

Christina
Hello, is there any financial support available for EU students?
Reply 75
Hi Hannah,

Yes it will! 🙌😄

Hope that helps 😊 Let us know if you have any other questions.

Best wishes,

Christina

Brilliant!! Thanks Christina for all your help!!
Original post by maracatinca
Hello, is there any financial support available for EU students?

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes! There is financial support for EU students. More information about what is offered can be found here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/eustudents/index.htm

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina
Good day!

I'm Lorenzo, a senior undergraduate student currently from the University of the Philippines. I recently took the UKCAT and got a fairly favorable result, so I was hoping to apply to medical schools in the United Kingdom. I just saw Newcastle's and most other medical school requirements. Generally, I think you need results for A levels or GCSEs, right? However, since some international student applicants like me do not have those qualifications, can I present another alternative? If yes, please do inform me.

Right now, I have my undergraduate course grades under the Non-EU international bachelor's degree qualification in the UCAS. If there is anything more I need such as a physical transcript, please tell! However, if it is not at all possible to apply without A levels or GCSEs, kindly notify me. I also have to say that I had my transcript evaluated by World Education Services, which converted my Philippine grades to the US GPA system of grades.I hope for a positive reply. Thank you in advance!
Hi

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes! There is financial support for EU students. More information about what is offered can be found here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/eustudents/index.htm

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Christina

Thank you for the quick reply! Also, do you accept the Romanian Baccalaureate as a a qualification? I'd like to apply for Linguistics, which has an AAB requirement as far as I've seen. If you do accept the Romanian Baccalaureate, what would be an equivalent?
Reply 79
Hello everyone!

Welcome to Newcastle University’s official 2016 Entry thread here on The Student Room.

Our team will be responding to your queries on applications, and anything related to Newcastle University. If you have any questions, please get in touch. And for any questions you may not wish to post publicly, feel free to drop the team a private message.

The site will be monitored Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm and we will aim to respond to you within 24 hours.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newcastle University Student Room Team: Christina, Persephone, Matt and Anna

hi newcastle!
I've been to your open days and i've fallen in love with your unii am applying for the cellular and molecular biology course and i am applying for partners, my predicted grades are slightly better than the partners entry requirements however there is one small issue, i just missed out on a B at gcse maths and the course requires a B, my A levels are in three sciences all requiring a B in maths and i was allowed to do them as i was so close to a B ,would i be allowed onto the course without the B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending