Amaani96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me what transcription factors are and how they work? need to know this for my biology edexcel exam tomorrow.
Thanks
bioevangelist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amaani96)
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me what transcription factors are and how they work? need to know this for my biology edexcel exam tomorrow.
Thanks
Transcription factors are proteins that bind to DNA. They bind to promoters or upstream of promoters (regions on the DNA called enhancer sequences) and work by contacting/binding to RNA polymerase that has bound the promoter but is not actively transcribing the gene.

Once the transcription factor binds the promoter and contacts RNA polymerase, RNA polymerase is activated and begins transcription - i.e. it starts to produce mRNA. Think of a transcription factor as the key to the engine - without it the engine (transcription) cannot start but with it, it can.

In essence Transcription Factors are needed to switch on the process of transcription by RNA polymerase and therefore the production of mRNA.
Amaani96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
bit late now m8
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads