Aromatics- Benzene (organic chemistry)

Watch
Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone,
I really need advice on how I could understand this topic. We're moving onto A2 stuff now and I'm kind of confused as I didn't grasp all of the AS concepts. How could fill in the blanks in my head in terms of, if I really wanted to understand things like Naming benzene substituted molecules- do you have any suggestions of websites to look at or books to read to have a better understanding.
I find organic chemistry so hard it's unbelievable.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
Hello everyone,
I really need advice on how I could understand this topic. We're moving onto A2 stuff now and I'm kind of confused as I didn't grasp all of the AS concepts. How could fill in the blanks in my head in terms of, if I really wanted to understand things like Naming benzene substituted molecules- do you have any suggestions of websites to look at or books to read to have a better understanding.
I find organic chemistry so hard it's unbelievable.
Naming compounds is hardly a concept. you just need the practice the (fairly simple) rules for naming and remember the prefixes and suffixes needed (which is a tad harder)

Simply saying I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING is hardly gonna get useful responses. Be proactive and check your knowledge vs the spec. Make a list of the key things you don't get and then chase those up. (Steps to chasing these up; 1. Go research it in a book / online; 2 Ask a question here or ask your teacher.)
FlowerFaerie087
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm not sure what's on your syllabus, so if I say anything you've never heard of before, then just ignore it.

DON'T WORRY - I promise you you will find this easy in just a few weeks!

There are two ways you can name simple substituted benzenes. One is by numbers, in which you take the most 'important' group, and say that is attached to Carbon 1. You then number all the other carbons around the ring 2, 3, 4..., ensuring that you get the smallest numbers overall. So if you had a butyl group on Carbon 1 and a methyl group two carbons over, that would be 1-butyl-3-methylbenzene. (Chemists would name this slightly differently, but this is a systematic name.) You know that the butyl carbon is numbered 1 because butyl and methyl are similar, but butyl is bigger.

Alternatively, you might have learned the ortho-, meta-, para- nomenclature. The compound from the last paragraph could also be named meta-butyl(methyl)benzene. (I just included the brackets to point out that methyl is attached to benzene.) If you had CN instead of methyl, it would be called meta-butylbenzonitrile, or 3-butylbenzonitrile - because CN is more important than butyl so now that is attached to C1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (57)
28.93%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.61%
No I am happy with my choice (109)
55.33%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
8.12%

Watched Threads