The Student Room Group

Can I do anything to stop the bullying?

There is a girl I know at school who gets bullied regularly and my older sister heard of one of the incidents of bullying (the girl was throwing up in the toilets and someone pushed her head down into the toilet and flushed it), and has told me that I should help the girl. However, I think my sister is naïve, I doubt there is anything I can do to stop the bullying and maybe it is not my place to intervene.

I have never been bullied and would preferably like to keep it that way. Should I intervene, can I intervene?
Personally I would kick the **** out of them all for being complete and utter ********s. I found that you always could get away with that at high school.

You? Probably should not intervene without FIRST speaking to the victim and asking what she wants to happen about the scenario/how she feels about it etc etc.

Safety in numbers is so true at high school. I hate the mob mentality of that place.
Reply 2
Why my sister is being so naïve I do not know.
Wow poor girl! I understand what you mean like why should you put yourself in possible harm's way and stuff for the girl, but imagine being in her position she must feel so like alone and upset. If I were you I'd talk to the girl and see what she says about you possibly intervening, or give her a shoulder to cry on. Anything to help the situation really it sounds awful. :frown:
Original post by CottonMather
There is a girl I know at school who gets bullied regularly and my older sister heard of one of the incidents of bullying (the girl was throwing up in the toilets and someone pushed her head down into the toilet and flushed it), and has told me that I should help the girl. However, I think my sister is naïve, I doubt there is anything I can do to stop the bullying and maybe it is not my place to intervene.

I have never been bullied and would preferably like to keep it that way. Should I intervene, can I intervene?

Now that you've confronted within yourself and to others considering whether to help or not,
it would be best for you to help, otherwise you're turning off the human in you and the potential to help/save someone.
Since I was a child I've bullied bullies, I was normally that person people called if they were called racist **** or being touched and didn't know what to do for themselves. I helped the helpless, and find myself still popping up out my seat wherever it may be going toe to toe with a bully.

There's a proper way to intervene though: you can get all up in their face daring them to do the same to you, and try to fight them off this person, which...is effective if you can fight.

Then there's like the brotherhood way, which is like, looking them in their eyes, "why are you bothering them? they didn't do anything to you. leave them alone." Then keep calm and brace yourself while you wait for their reaction. Since people saw you stepping up, they might step in for you as well, especially if it's a public thing. Like don't step to bullies in the toilets, unless they vex you so much that you can't keep quiet. I've interrupted class sessions to confront someone for being a prick. Bullies don't like to be humiliated. They'll be embarrassed to silence and roll their eyes and walk off.

Then there's not doing anything and helping the person up afterwards, which is half arsed giving a **** but eh.

Then there's just piteously looking at them through the mirror while you wash your hands, flicking them dry and walking out leaving them in their sick.

Your choice but the pushing their head in sick thing, I normally don't care about people but if I saw how it happened and see that it keeps happening and this person just can't cope, I'm not staying quiet. But do you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CottonMather
I do not get on badly with the bullies though. They have never bullied me. And would that not get me kicked out of high school? I would like to go on to study A levels and then on to university, so I do not want to make the situation worse.

You don't do it in the school premises. You follow them home. With friends.

Police could be a thing. Depends on the culture of the 'bullies'. And I dunno how seriously the police would take such a thing. Likely not very at all if you were of similar age and didn't scar them/use weapons.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending