paying for braces and i am under 18?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey guys

okay so basically i want to get braces and i am 17 years old. My dentist told me the NHS only gives free braces to those in extreme circumstances e.g can't eat properly, can't speak properly etc. my case is not extreme its just that i have crooked teeth and i want to fix them to put them in place but my dentist told me i had to pay like 2000 pounds. That is a hell lot of money and i just can't afford it. I am in full time education and i don't work. Bare in mind the dentist i go to is private

my question is, is it possible i get free braces if i go somewhere else?
is my dentist lying? i thought people under 18 get free braces
please help am so confused
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hey guys

okay so basically i want to get braces and i am 17 years old. My dentist told me the NHS only gives free braces to those in extreme circumstances e.g can't eat properly, can't speak properly etc. my case is not extreme its just that i have crooked teeth and i want to fix them to put them in place but my dentist told me i had to pay like 2000 pounds. That is a hell lot of money and i just can't afford it. I am in full time education and i don't work. Bare in mind the dentist i go to is private

My dentist refused at 17 as by the time I d have seen an orthdontist I d have been 18 so may be the same for you?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Did u pay?
AmyKaurx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys

Braces under 18 are free. If he is refusing to refer you to a orthodontist then I suggest you get another dentist. Otherwise, when you turn 18 you will have to pay for braces.
username568974
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys

I got my totally free..suggest u go to another dentist before its too late
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should get your braces before you turn 18.

A lot of stuff are restricted when you turn 18(why not 19) which is a bit unfair as you are still a teenager and not a proper adult.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did u pay?
oh i just decided to live with my teeth as is, 2k isnt worth it for me
Emma_Jane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some have to pay for braces when their under 18 it depends how you fit into the set criteria, its not just they're under 18 they get them free. Unfortunately the world just can't afford to work that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
elliecandlin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got told by my orthodontist that if you start your treatment before 16, you don't have to pay. Seeing as I started mine at 15 and had them until I was 17 it meant I didn't have to pay a penny. Mine were also only cosmetic (I had vile teeth before). From what I've heard annoyingly it depends on what orthodontist and dentist you have? Mine referred me which I think helped? I'm not entirely sure though. x
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had to pay €3000 for mine and one tooth is longer than the other! Not the result I wanted at all!:cry:
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey guys

I got mine at around 16, mine were definitely not extreme circumstances, my bottom teeth needed a slight correction. I think it's because the treatment takes around 2 years so you'll have surpassed 18.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads