Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, i need a glue that holds something in place firmly and it will not turn back to liquid again in 40C and under saliva conditions, and it is safe when swallow (i.e. glue turn to plastic (acrylic type stuff) when dry)

urgent btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    hi, i need a glue that holds something in place firmly and it will not turn back to liquid again in 40C and under saliva conditions, and it is safe when swallow (i.e. glue turn to plastic (acrylic type stuff) when dry)

urgent btw
    u broke yer braces or sommat?
    if so then i think you should see a dentist before trying any DIY,,,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    u broke yer braces or sommat?
    if so then i think you should see a dentist before trying any DIY,,,
    nice guess
    is a retainer with a part that was originally glued and it fell off
    so i only need the same glue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    ask kingslaw - I bet he's an expert on glue and solvents.
    can you summon him to this thread please?

ReputationRep:
    can you summon him to this thread please?
    from what i gather he was joking he doesnt like kingslaw
    he was trying to make fun of him like he does with anyone else who isnt like him

ReputationRep:
    So you want a non toxic glue, that dries on contact, and can be used in 40 degrees C and in moist conditions...well sir we have the top of the range glue right here...its called Pritt Stick

ReputationRep:
    Areldite (sp?) is good, but takes 24 hours to dry.

ReputationRep:
    no glue is safe to swallow??

but try pva.....if they give that to kids its got to be pritty non toxic!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    PVA would definitely dissolve when wet, and Araldite is highly toxic. Seriously, wait till you can see your dentist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    no glue is safe to swallow??

but try pva.....if they give that to kids its got to be pritty non toxic!

love Katy ***
    PVA won't stick a retainer back together!!

Araldite (by Bostik) is your best bet, but you will have to wait for 24 hours before you can use the brace again. It sticks absolutely everything - it's amazing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suspicious_fish)
    PVA would definitely dissolve when wet, and Araldite is highly toxic. Seriously, wait till you can see your dentist!
    Highly toxic... oh..... *tries to remember all the things she has stuck together*

ReputationRep:
    (Araldite, etc.) are used for many purposes at CERN. Preparation of them can cause severe skin irritations, and fumes should not be inhaled.

So does that mean it's safe when it's dried? Apparently it's only toxic if ingested, but when it's dry it turns solid anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    (Araldite, etc.) are used for many purposes at CERN. Preparation of them can cause severe skin irritations, and fumes should not be inhaled.

So does that mean it's safe when it's dried? Apparently it's only toxic if ingested, but when it's dry it turns solid anyway.
    You don't generally put stuff at CERN into your mouth.....
    It might be ok, but if bits dissolve you could be in some minor trouble. It could also be irritant.

ReputationRep:
    do you think they actually use melted polymers/plastic?
    or maybe some dental thing that we never know

ReputationRep:
    You can buy dental repair kits at boots for a short term fix. You should make an appointment with your dentist/orthodontist though because you could be putting your treatment at risk (if everything isn't at the right tension blah blah blah)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    You can buy dental repair kits at boots for a short term fix. You should make an appointment with your dentist/orthodontist though because you could be putting your treatment at risk (if everything isn't at the right tension blah blah blah)
    just because i need something to stick something together
    that will cost a lot

ReputationRep:
    just because i need something to stick something together
    that will cost a lot
    Right, well I've given all the possible suggsetions I can. Now you just have to decide what to do.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.