Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Evaluation of genetic engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It says we have to know about the ethical, social and economic issues of genetic engineering in medicine and in food production. my revison book doesnt explain it well and i haven't done this in class.

Anyone help??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkledust)
    It says we have to know about the ethical, social and economic issues of genetic engineering in medicine and in food production. my revison book doesnt explain it well and i haven't done this in class.

Anyone help??

thanks
    i don't know what subject this is for, but this is my attempt at a very vague answer (mainly for medicine)

ethical issues- genetic engineering is playing god, in humans you get the danger of designer babies etc.

social issues- the designer baby thing again. you could end up with a genetic upperclass (those who have perfect genes) and a genetic underclass (those who don't have perfect genes, are disabled etc.). danger of beingn used for wrong purpose- eg. nazis would like everyone to have blonde hair and blue eyes

economic- this is mainly in food production- only those with the capital to invest in genetic modification will be able to do it, they will then get richer cos they have better/larger/ more produce and the poorer farmers will not be able to compete and may go out of business

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

its for AS Biology

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

its for AS Biology
    ah right, i was answering this from what i know from philsophy, but maybe i've given you a vague idea of the sort of things you could put

lou xxx

(Original post by lou p lou)
    ethical issues- genetic engineering is playing god.
    our school went to a bio conference last year where the chief examiner for aqa said you would never get any marks (on aqa at least) for statements like that...be careful about what you write

(plus, if you think about it.......it doesnt really make much sense, does it!! )

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think you have to put something along the lines of 'Religious view of not altering God's work'

I have a list of advantages/disadvantages for the Human Genome project, if you want a list, I can put one up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Yeah, I think you have to put something along the lines of 'Religious view of not altering God's work'

I have a list of advantages/disadvantages for the Human Genome project, if you want a list, I can put one up.
    I think that would be most useful

ReputationRep:

Anyone help??

thanks
    For food issues look at the food Standards Agency website - they won an award for the GM section.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.food.gov.uk/gmdebate/?view=GM+Microsite

ReputationRep:
    Not a complete list by any means...

Advantages

More accurate diagnosis of disease

Development of better drugs, to target specific diseases

Develop drugs with fewer side effects

More information to base scientific research on

Eradication of inherited diseases

Less human suffering/early deaths

Disadvantages

Religious view of not altering 'Gods work'

Choice of 'designer' babies could lead to a change in gender percentage of population

It's hard to draw a line between improving health, and changing natural laws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Not a complete list by any means...

Advantages

More accurate diagnosis of disease

Development of better drugs, to target specific diseases

Develop drugs with fewer side effects

More information to base scientific research on

Eradication of inherited diseases

Less human suffering/early deaths

Disadvantages

Religious view of not altering 'Gods work'

Choice of 'designer' babies could lead to a change in gender percentage of population

It's hard to draw a line between improving health, and changing natural laws
    One of the big advatages of the HGMP is the potential for drugs to be developed for a targeted individual rather than a targeted disease.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    One of the big advatages of the HGMP is the potential for drugs to be developed for a targeted individual rather than a targeted disease.
    I guess it is. As I said, by no means a complete list - they're are just some we're expected to know about for OCA (A) syllabus. <Sigh> one day I'll get to actual learning rather than going by whats on the specification.

ReputationRep:
    You probably won't be asked a direct question on this, but in essay questions on GMT are good few marks are avalible to those who can say something. A few considderations are:
    increased food production
    reduction in use fo pesticides and fertilisers
    imporved health through medicine
    BUT:
    harmful transgenetic products - new proteins = allergies
    little economic benefit to farmer and hence consumer as increased production (aprox 10%) is weighed against cpaital and competition
    transgenes may spread into other species
    irreversible GMO impact on environment
    consumer backlash against GMT has economic implications
    animals could become unhealthy
    anti-biotic and pesticide resitant strains may evolve
    monopoloy of supply from developed world and even certain firms
    firms supply seeds that produce non-seeding plants, resulting in dependence.

Remember a bit of this and what others have stated and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    More advantages
    -Genetic engineering to produce insulin, homan facotr VIII for haemoplhiliacs etc can be massed produced. There is also no risk of transmitting a disease such as HIV
    -it can help overcome shortange of donors

-insert genes into plants so they're resistant to pests

disadvantage of above point: it is unsafe for organisms and environment (may mess up ecosystem?)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.