janchiu16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In two days, I have my GCSE Statistics exam (Edexcel) and I don't know how to start revising, but could anyone provide some questions about standard deviation and probability? (These are the areas I'm weakest on). Also, can anyone who's done it, tell me what sort of same questions/topics have popped up in the past few years?

I got an A in my course work (31/40) but I would like to get an A* overall so what mark would I have to get in the exam, in order to achieve this?

Any help will be appreciated
beccadf1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by janchiu16)
In two days, I have my GCSE Statistics exam (Edexcel) and I don't know how to start revising, but could anyone provide some questions about standard deviation and probability? (These are the areas I'm weakest on). Also, can anyone who's done it, tell me what sort of same questions/topics have popped up in the past few years?

I got an A in my course work (31/40) but I would like to get an A* overall so what mark would I have to get in the exam, in order to achieve this?

Hi, I'm in year 9 and doing this exam too! I got 29/40 on the coursework and my teacher said I had to get 70-80% for an A/A*. To revise I would recommend just practicing a couple of papers before Thursday. Does your school have MyMaths, I would also recommend going through their sections on standard deviation and probability. Remember you don't need to learn the formula for standard deviation off by heart because it is at the front of the paper.

Here is a link to a page with past standard deviation questions. There are videos that go through how to solve most of the questions along with the full paper and mark scheme!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r.../questions.php

The same website also have stuff on probability that might be of use to you, here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...uestions-1.php

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on!
Phantom reader
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Yh I got the exact same marks in my coursework, we're in the same situation. I've looked at past grades and ums u would need approx 85 marks aim for 90 to be safe that's what I'm doing :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
janchiu16
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccadf1)
Hi, I'm in year 9 and doing this exam too! I got 29/40 on the coursework and my teacher said I had to get 70-80% for an A/A*. To revise I would recommend just practicing a couple of papers before Thursday. Does your school have MyMaths, I would also recommend going through their sections on standard deviation and probability. Remember you don't need to learn the formula for standard deviation off by heart because it is at the front of the paper.

Here is a link to a page with past standard deviation questions. There are videos that go through how to solve most of the questions along with the full paper and mark scheme!

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r.../questions.php

The same website also have stuff on probability that might be of use to you, here:

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...uestions-1.php

Hope this helps and let me know how you get on!
Hello! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply back to this thread and providing some useful websites!

I've found another website which may be useful to you as well, as you're also doing your exam:

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resou...stions-6401597

It has 4 revision packs on standard deviation and spearman's rank, probability, data collection and processing data (if you're also with Edexcel).

I found these really helpful and I just thought I'd share as you helped me out

I wish you good luck on your exam and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
janchiu16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Phantom reader)
Yh I got the exact same marks in my coursework, we're in the same situation. I've looked at past grades and ums u would need approx 85 marks aim for 90 to be safe that's what I'm doing :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the information! I got 70 on my last mock without revising, so hopefully if I revise this time, I'll get round about 85-90.

Good luck on your exam!
student_2902
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My teacher never even told me what I got in my coursework :/
beccadf1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello! Thank you so much for taking your time to reply back to this thread and providing some useful websites!

I've found another website which may be useful to you as well, as you're also doing your exam:

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resou...stions-6401597

It has 4 revision packs on standard deviation and spearman's rank, probability, data collection and processing data (if you're also with Edexcel).

I found these really helpful and I just thought I'd share as you helped me out

I wish you good luck on your exam and I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!
Thanks for the rating much appreciated how did you find the exam? I thought it was easy compared to some of the past papers I have attempted!
Rourkey79
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya! It was easy wasn't it! I only mucked up on geometric mean, comparitive pie chart and the chain index number so I reckon I didn't lose to many marks.
janchiu16
Rep:
?
(Original post by beccadf1)
Thanks for the rating much appreciated how did you find the exam? I thought it was easy compared to some of the past papers I have attempted!
You're welcome! It was actually easier than I expected (most people in my year told me that this year's paper was going to be nasty..) I thought the 2014 paper was quite hard but luckily there were no questions on venn diagrams and not much on probability :proud:. I'm still nervous though, after the exam but, nonetheless it's over and done with! I'm glad you didn't find it too bad, I'm sure you did well! I'm getting my result on the 20th August, I assume that's when you'll receive yours too?
janchiu16
Rep:
?
(Original post by student_2902)
My teacher never even told me what I got in my coursework :/
Hmm...that's strange...maybe you'll get your overall grade once you get your results? Which exam board are you with and did you do the exam today?
janchiu16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rourkey79)
Hiya! It was easy wasn't it! I only mucked up on geometric mean, comparitive pie chart and the chain index number so I reckon I didn't lose to many marks.
Hello! Yes I did find it quite easy, but there weren't any geometric mean and comparative pie charts in my exam; by any chance, is your exam board AQA? Some of the topics that came up for me was cumulative frequency, probability, box plots etc. I got told today that I didn't have to know the geometric mean formula because Edexcel don't have questions on that topic? Glad to know you didn't lose many marks, no matter what, I'm sure you did well!
Jordanf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found the test hard
Rourkey79
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello! Yes I did find it quite easy, but there weren't any geometric mean and comparative pie charts in my exam; by any chance, is your exam board AQA? Some of the topics that came up for me was cumulative frequency, probability, box plots etc. I got told today that I didn't have to know the geometric mean formula because Edexcel don't have questions on that topic? Glad to know you didn't lose many marks, no matter what, I'm sure you did well!
Cheers mate! Yeah AQA I done! Very wordy and quite easy to be honest just dropped a few of those 3/4 markers which cause the damage 😃
beccadf1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You're welcome! It was actually easier than I expected (most people in my year told me that this year's paper was going to be nasty..) I thought the 2014 paper was quite hard but luckily there were no questions on venn diagrams and not much on probability :proud:. I'm still nervous though, after the exam but, nonetheless it's over and done with! I'm glad you didn't find it too bad, I'm sure you did well! I'm getting my result on the 20th August, I assume that's when you'll receive yours too?
That's good, I'm sure you did well too! I think that's when we get our results!
Jordanf
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone know or have the grade boundaries?
Morgan_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordanf)
Anyone know or have the grade boundaries?
Think they're released the day before results day- but I'm not sure if only teachers can access them until we've got our results, but they're most likely made public 😊
nik8754524
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i wrote some of my written answers in pencil will they mark that some one please help e what should i do
fyrestrix
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nik8754524)
i wrote some of my written answers in pencil will they mark that some one please help e what should i do
You should be fine. It might be marked by hand though - but its good
nik8754524
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fyrestrix)
You should be fine. It might be marked by hand though - but its good
i hope so thank you xx
Hardcore_student
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got an A for coursework, want an A overall Don't know about you guys, but the exam seemed pretty easy. I do Sociology too so the samling questions were easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.24%
Virtual campus tours/open days (131)
24.3%
Live streaming events (47)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.65%
A uni comparison tool (124)
23.01%
An in-person event when available (119)
22.08%