Does anyone know about the operations management profession? Watch

Cloud89
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,

I have been considering entering the operations management profession for quite a while, but I'm not sure exactly what an operations manager does on a day to day basis and the lifestyle of the profession?

There is a programme offered by GE called the Operations Management Leadership Programme, that I'm thinking of applying to, but I worry that I don't know the working lifestyle and whether it is intense or has long working hours?

I think a big problem that young people face is not knowing the true nature of the job, which can only be appreciated by first hand experience and first hand accounts. I hope you can help me if you know anything.

So if anyone here knows about or is in the operations management profession or knows about the GE programme, any information at all or personal accounts would be greatly, greatly appreciated Thank you in advance.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cloud89)
Hi all,

I have been considering entering the operations management profession for quite a while, but I'm not sure exactly what an operations manager does on a day to day basis and the lifestyle of the profession?

There is a programme offered by GE called the Operations Management Leadership Programme, that I'm thinking of applying to, but I worry that I don't know the working lifestyle and whether it is intense or has long working hours?

I think a big problem that young people face is not knowing the true nature of the job, which can only be appreciated by first hand experience and first hand accounts. I hope you can help me if you know anything.

So if anyone here knows about or is in the operations management profession or knows about the GE programme, any information at all or personal accounts would be greatly, greatly appreciated Thank you in advance.
OMLP is basically GE's programme for taking graduates and giving them experience in various non-engineering-but-still-kinda-technical positions, e.g. manufacturing, quality, and even purchasing.

The work-life balance varies by site and by the department you're in as well. For example if you're in manufacturing and a procedure is being carried out at, say, 10 pm, you might have to stay late to witness it.

Other than that I don't know a huge amount about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (205)
23.51%
Pop (215)
24.66%
Jazz (33)