The Student Room Group

Up-levelling my Degree - Dilemma!

Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. :frown: I hope this is the correct place to ask this!

I'm currently working as a Level 3 TA in a Primary School and I have a Bachelor of Arts in Education of the Primary Classroom. I have been working there for a year now. The course was with a QTS, however I was unable finish my placement in the 3rd year so I only ended up with a Pass Degree.

I am seeking advice as to how I can go about gaining my full teaching qualification. I have been told that I may first of all need to up-level my Degree as it is only a "Pass" and PGCE/School Direct do not accept them. Is there truth in this?

Secondly, I have no idea how I would go about up-levelling my Degree. Does anyone know who I would need to contact or how I could do this? Unfortunately, the University where I did my course no longer offers the same course.

If I do not need to up-level, should I just try and apply to a PGCE Course/School Direct? I have been apprehensive to do so and have really found motivation over the past few weeks with regards to falling back in love with education and teaching.

Thank you for any help you can offer, I've looked around but not really had any difinitive answer.

If you need to know anything else don't hesitate to ask,

Kind regards,

Damien
Phone every uni that offers a relevant course and see if they can help you. Finishing your degree would probably be worthwhile in terms of how it might influence your employability in the longrun.
Original post by damien1337
Hello,

I have a bit of a dilemma. :frown: I hope this is the correct place to ask this!

I'm currently working as a Level 3 TA in a Primary School and I have a Bachelor of Arts in Education of the Primary Classroom. I have been working there for a year now. The course was with a QTS, however I was unable finish my placement in the 3rd year so I only ended up with a Pass Degree.

I am seeking advice as to how I can go about gaining my full teaching qualification. I have been told that I may first of all need to up-level my Degree as it is only a "Pass" and PGCE/School Direct do not accept them. Is there truth in this?

Secondly, I have no idea how I would go about up-levelling my Degree. Does anyone know who I would need to contact or how I could do this? Unfortunately, the University where I did my course no longer offers the same course.

If I do not need to up-level, should I just try and apply to a PGCE Course/School Direct? I have been apprehensive to do so and have really found motivation over the past few weeks with regards to falling back in love with education and teaching.

Thank you for any help you can offer, I've looked around but not really had any difinitive answer.

Kind regards,

Damien

A pass degree is lower than a third class degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Juichiro
A pass degree is lower than a third class degree.

Which is why I have no idea as to what I need to do, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me!

Kind regards,
Which is why I have no idea as to what I need to do, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me!

Kind regards,

I ain't an expert, but can think of some possible actions:

1) Contact unis running BEd with QTS and see if you can use previous years' credits to go straight to Final Year, enabling you to graduate with hopefully a higher honour and QTS. search UCAS for providers and contact their admission/ department. you can explain your change of circumstances and that you are now more matured and experienced to see it through. Even if they only allow you to go into second year it may still be doable. I am not sure about undergrad student finance with previous degree though, you may need to check out separately.

2) Failing that, you can try topping up your degree with Open University (or any other unis doing top-up) and get a higher honour and then do PGCE/ school direct. You can continue working as a TA while doing the degree.

3) if your current school has School direct, or part of a scitt consortium, see if they can offer you school direct (even if tuition fee based). they may overlook your degree class based on their knowledge of your skills and experience.

I think for PGCE, most providers ask for 2.2 or above.

All the best. Hope it helps.
Hello,

Kind regards,

Damien

Hi Damien,

Firstly do not panic, I have done the exact same thing :smile: I had a pass and three years later wanted a 2:2 to do my teacher training. The uni I originally went to still did the course and refused to let me go back an redo one module (I failed one module twice so just failed!) I spoke to 2 other local universities that offered similar degrees as mine was Education Studies and only done in 2 uni's.

The other universities said I could use my degree as a balance transfer onto another course with them. Both Bedfordshire and Middlesex told me this.

I ended up complaining to university head at Hertfordshire and they let me go back and redo one module and now I have a 2:2!

Don't give up, you can do it!

I would firstly speak to your university credit transfer team and see whether they would do the same for you as it is easier to do it when you already went there as they have all the paperwork and information. Failing that ask a few other universities.

If you need to ask any questions just let me know

KR

Louise :smile:
Hello,

Kind regards,

Damien

Your experience will help massively. To be a teacher you actually only need a pass degree. But providers set there requirements usually much higher. I am in the same boat as you. I have found a scitt programme with the entry requirements as 'a degree' I applied last week and I have an interview on wednesday! I suggest searching alot for courses. I have experience as a TA and I have alot of experience in early years which has helped me. You can top it up through the open uni, I looked into this however you will not get funding and its almost 6 thousand for 120 credits, they will only allow you to transfer 240 so you would lose 60 credits. If you want to appear more acacdemic I would think about maybe doing a masters degree in education while working as a TA you would get accepted with the experience and pass degree to do a masters degree, and definitely would if you applied at the OU. This is alot cheaper and a masters degree can be used to apply for teacher training. However, maybe I wont have to do this if i get a place after my interview day next week.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending