The Student Room Group

Work experience?

I'm still trying to get work experience, and I'm pretty much desperate now as the hospitals I've emailed either don't reply or tell me to send an application for sept (which will take 8 weeks or so to review, at which point I would have already applied). Do you think I should just email some consultants? There's a chiropractor nearby so is it worth trying there (although not wholly medicine related)

Thank you,
:smile:
Original post by Lularose83
I'm still trying to get work experience, and I'm pretty much desperate now as the hospitals I've emailed either don't reply or tell me to send an application for sept (which will take 8 weeks or so to review, at which point I would have already applied). Do you think I should just email some consultants? There's a chiropractor nearby so is it worth trying there (although not wholly medicine related)

Thank you,

I would try to email consultants. Do you or your friends have family/family friends who are doctors? If they do you could ask them. If all else fails go for the chiropractor.

Hope it all works out
Original post by Lularose83

Thank you,

Yes absolutely, start emailing consultants and their secretaries en masse. The law of brute force says that you will get at least one positive response.

Don't go for the chiropractor, you're better than that. It's non-evidence based quackery.
Reply 3
The hospital where I did my shadowing (and now currently work as a HCA) had a designated person for dealing with work experience. Try to find out if there is somebody like this at your local hospital(s).

Have you tried your GP? Or asking them if there is someone that they know who would be willing to let you shadow them. As some local GP surgeries can be a bit picky I am led to believe.

If you start to get really desperate I wouldn't even rule out just going into your hospital and speak to a secretary or ward/clinic reception staff and see if there is someone you can talk to there and then. It's a lot easier to turn people down via phone/email than it is in person and imo it shows determination and initiative that you have taken the next step to progressing this endeavour.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone, I'm really grateful for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending