Further Maths Question. HELP Watch

This discussion is closed.
sleepysmurf
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
How do you find the vector equation of a line when you have the vector equation of two planes which meet in the line?
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
instead of r in r.n=a for both planes put (x,y,z) and u will get two simultaneous equation. but u cant generally solved two sim equations for 3 variables so you have to get all the solutions in term of another variable. i choose to write x and y in terms of z and then put z=lamda. and then carry on from there. i cant remember from there i will have to look it up again.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by sleepysmurf
How do you find the vector equation of a line when you have the vector equation of two planes which meet in the line?
From the vector equation of the planes, rewrite them in the form r.n = a.n and then from there it is easy to write them in Cartesian form. You now have two equations in three unknowns (x, y and z), which will generally give you a line of solutions. To find this line, choose one of the unknowns (e.g. x) and write the other two variables in terms of this chosen one only. Set the chosen one equal to a parameter and then you have the other two variables in terms of this parameter only, so you have the equation of the line in parametric form, and you can then easily move from parametric form to vector form.

Regards,
sleepysmurf
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Thanks a lot.
cayley-hamilton
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
workout the cross/vector product of the Normal of the two planes (which is simply the coefficients of the cartesian equations). This gives the direction vector of a line perpendicular to both normals -ie the common line (and to find the equation subs a know value to find constant vector)
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by rahaydenuk
From the vector equation of the planes, rewrite them in the form r.n = a.n and then from there it is easy to write them in Cartesian form. You now have two equations in three unknowns (x, y and z), which will generally give you a line of solutions. To find this line, choose one of the unknowns (e.g. x) and write the other two variables in terms of this chosen one only. Set the chosen one equal to a parameter and then you have the other two variables in terms of this parameter only, so you have the equation of the line in parametric form, and you can then easily move from parametric form to vector form.

Regards,

thats bloody what i said!!!!!!!!!!! its plagarism!!!!!!!!
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by bloodhound
thats bloody what i said!!!!!!!!!!! its plagarism!!!!!!!!
No it's not, you hadn't posted when I clicked 'Reply'!
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
as you can clearly see, my post is before yours. so i posted mine before
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
as you can clearly see, my post is before yours. so i posted mine before
I don't contend that you posted your reply before I posted mine, what I was saying is that when I clicked the 'Reply' button on the main thread page to go to the reply screen, you had not posted your message. You must therefore have posted your message whilst I was typing out my reply, therefore I didn't know that you'd already posted a response when I sent mine.

Regards,
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh sorry. its alrite then. we both know about maths and thats alrite!! hurray. Peace is so much better than war
bloodhound
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ours answers are virtually identical anyway
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
oh sorry. its alrite then. we both know about maths and thats alrite!! hurray. Peace is so much better than war
Don't worry, I didn't mean to sound aggressive.

No we don't want any wars!
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (72)
17.65%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (259)
63.48%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
4.9%
Not yet but I might (57)
13.97%

Watched Threads