Alevels and anxiety

Watch
s234590
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
ive recently started getting really bad anxiety - loss of appetite and feeling dizzy and just feeling like the world is over and panic attacks! i honestly cant take it anymore is there anything i can do...

I rang the doctor for an emergency appointment today but will they actually do anything?
cricket123456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hi im in my last year of A levels , and have just finished my A2 i started getting panic attacks around the age of 14/15 didn't understand what anxiety really was and thus i told the doctor i thought i had depression , the issue with Alevels, anxiety, and your social life , is that it gets very stressful , AS i gave up and academically underachieved due to my anxiety , my hand would constantly shake or lock in the exam , this made my handwriting difficult to read , the doctor may offer you Medication in my opinion DO NOT TAKE IT , go see a counsellor or CBT therapist (cognitive behavioral therapist) , all though the CBT therapist for me didnt help , she shook some sense into me , i would never go parties , i would make up excuses to go i had terrible social anxiety ,
wether your anxiety is social related or due to exams , i can promise you will have to face you panic attack , i will add that alcohol helps reduce anxiety and to have a great time but i think to much is bad for your anxiety , however don't give up on a levels , anxiety can be reduced , good luck in youre exams
Pointless Kitty
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cricket123456)
hi im in my last year of A levels , and have just finished my A2 i started getting panic attacks around the age of 14/15 didn't understand what anxiety really was and thus i told the doctor i thought i had depression , the issue with Alevels, anxiety, and your social life , is that it gets very stressful , AS i gave up and academically underachieved due to my anxiety , my hand would constantly shake or lock in the exam , this made my handwriting difficult to read , the doctor may offer you Medication in my opinion DO NOT TAKE IT , go see a counsellor or CBT therapist (cognitive behavioral therapist) , all though the CBT therapist for me didnt help , she shook some sense into me , i would never go parties , i would make up excuses to go i had terrible social anxiety ,
wether your anxiety is social related or due to exams , i can promise you will have to face you panic attack , i will add that alcohol helps reduce anxiety and to have a great time but i think to much is bad for your anxiety , however don't give up on a levels , anxiety can be reduced , good luck in youre exams
You're right about the alcohol. It's a depressant so if you take a lot then it causes more harm :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
emalouise_96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In year 12 during my AS exams, I left revision pretty late which realllyyyy wasn't very good for my anxiety, I slept a lot to avoid dealing with the issues and I constantly cried from the stress and anxiety of failing... I got CCDD in the end. Going into year 13, I was panicking about ways to avoid this happening again so what I did is I started to thoroughly plan and organise my life and school work, I got everything done well on time and started doing revision in January to be well prepared and less stressed. I know this doesn't explain how to help your anxiety, but it certainly will make you feel better about sixth form. Definitely try organisation and planning out and see how it goes! Also take time for yourself, relax and watch a movie, read a book, go for a walk... whatever you enjoy doing! As the previous person said, alcohol is calming for the nerves but just be careful with it! Have fun, you're young, but you must be careful and responsible too! I wish you all the luck, you'll be just fine!
Tigin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The doctor may offer something like beta blockers like propanolol to calm the heart rate because during anxiety and panic attacks the adrenaline increases the heart rate resulting in the symptoms like breathlessness and feeling dizzy etc. I have been on them and they have helped stop the cycle and calm the physical symptoms during a panicky event. I would recommend them. In addition to this however it would be a good idea to get the counselling to help deal with the issues at hand. I was initially very reluctant to take medication however it was very useful and now wish I had taken them years ago instead of being so stubborn. I'm now on a low dose of citalopram anti-depressant which helped take the edge off and provided that space I needed to deal with the anxiety using a therapist. Overall I would suggest take on the help provided and give the medication a chance if counselling on its own is not enough (being on antidepressants or the anxiety beta blockers doesn't show weakness as some people may think!) All the best!
amyanne98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I also suffer with anxiety and the first year of A levels have been so difficult! The best thing to do is go to the doctors and try and get some sort of therapy as soon as possible. I was given a type of beta blocker earlier this year to help deal with panic attacks during mocks, exams, school trips, shopping etc. but these were awful! Everyone reacts different and I ended up getting ill because of these. Although this may not be the case for you if you end up taking them, they are still only a short term strategy so therapy in the long run will be much better. I'm starting group sessions for my anxiety in September which are meant to be very helpful. I hope you are able to find something soon as I know how difficult it makes everyday life! Good luck for the future
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (123)
28.47%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (85)
19.68%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (127)
29.4%

Watched Threads