?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
P3 Discussion and prediction thread
jessyunicorn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone got predictions for 6 markers? For biology and chemistry i felt like it was not that hard to pick out what could come up for 6 markers but physics i have no idea.
KD1024
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
(Original post by jessyunicorn)
Anyone got predictions for 6 markers? For biology and chemistry i felt like it was not that hard to pick out what could come up for 6 markers but physics i have no idea.
Ethical issues of using ionising radiation in medical physics?
Acirar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KD1024)
Ethical issues of using ionising radiation in medical physics?
Could you list some please?
KD1024
Rep:
?
It's in the cgp revision guide
If u don't have it here's the page:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  524.4 KB
bitch.craft
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im so miserable about the exam tomorrow even though it's my last one. i feel like i dont know anything and im going to fail.
Acirar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by *****.craft)
Im so miserable about the exam tomorrow even though it's my last one. i feel like i dont know anything and im going to fail.
Haha, we all are. The struggle is real. P2 was such a flop for me, I've given up ;(
Acirar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KD1024)
It's in the cgp revision guide
If u don't have it here's the page:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  524.4 KB
Thank you
M463
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh God, the day of the dreaded P3 exam is almost here - I really don't know what the six markers are going to be on. So far they've been on Short/Long Sightedness, Diagnostic Devices in medicine, Quarks and Inelastic/Elastic collisions - that's like all of the topics!! I'm predicting how to produce X-rays with a wire filament as one of them and maybe how to use cyclotrons to create radioactive isotopes. I REALLY hope that it's not on that bloody SinI/SinR = nR/nI thing - the whole refractive index thing confuses me.
smwsammy98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Any other 6 markers predictions? I hope it's about eyesight, but that came up in 2013
TheLadyInBlack
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As per the revision guide, the 6 markers I predict are:

• X-rays are used in hospitals for diagnosing illnesses and for treating patients. Describe the production and use of X-rays in hospitals, including the precautions that a radiographer would need to take. *Very likely*

• Compare the use of X-rays and CAT scans for treatment and diagnosis in medicine. *Likely*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Unstable nuclei can become more stable by emitting alpha or beta particles. Describe the processes of a, B- and B+ decay. *Also very likely*

• High-energy gamma rays are produced when an electron and a positron annihilate one another (e^+ + e^- → 2y). Explain what the process of annihilation is and what is conserved during the process of annihilation. *Likely*

• A radioisotope or tracer can be injected into the body on a biologically active molecule and used to detect whether a patient has a disease such as cancer. Explain how this is done, using the PET scanner as an example. *Could potentially come up*

Which do you agree on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
devkulasooriya
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could the whole oximetry thing come as a 6 marker?
devkulasooriya
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheLadyInBlack)

• X-rays are used in hospitals for diagnosing illnesses and for treating patients. Describe the production and use of X-rays in hospitals, including the precautions that a radiographer would need to take. *Very likely*

• Compare the use of X-rays and CAT scans for treatment and diagnosis in medicine. *Likely*

• Unstable nuclei can become more stable by emitting alpha or beta particles. Describe the processes of a, B- and B+ decay. *Also very likely*

• High-energy gamma rays are produced when an electron and a positron annihilate one another (e^+ + e^- → 2y). Explain what the process of annihilation is and what is conserved during the process of annihilation. *Likely*

• A radioisotope or tracer can be injected into the body on a biologically active molecule and used to detect whether a patient has a disease such as cancer. Explain how this is done, using the PET scanner as an example. *Could potentially come up*

Which do you agree on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel like the last one appeared in one of the SAM papers.
TheLadyInBlack
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by devkulasooriya)
Could the whole oximetry thing come as a 6 marker?
Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nooryounes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheLadyInBlack)

Which do you agree on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
how can you compare cat scans and x-rays? i thought x rays were used for cat scans anyway; what could you say in your answer?
TheLadyInBlack
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by nooryounes)
how can you compare cat scans and x-rays? i thought x rays were used for cat scans anyway; what could you say in your answer?
“CAT scans produce a better image than conventional X-ray machines; with much better quality pictures/of higher resolution; 3D images are produced by a rotating X-ray device; that produces cross-sectional pictures of the body; the nature of CAT scans means that better diagnosis is possible; although the technique does often use a high level of ionising radiation; which can break bonds in the molecule in the body; leading to cell death; or diseases; such as cancer; low-dose CAT scans can reduce the radiation dose; without affecting the image quality; CAT scans are better at diagnosing subtle problems with soft tissue, e.g. brain, liver and intestinal problems; X-rays are very useful for looking at bone-related problems; fractures/breaks; or osteoporosis; bone infection; tooth fractures or tooth decay; X-rays can also diagnose heart; lung and arterial problems effectively.”

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheLadyInBlack
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
After looking at everything carefully, I believe the following will come up(!):

• Radiation in medicine
• How eyes work (3/4 marks); same with eye sight problems.
• Calculation of lenses or critical angle
• Uses of ultrasound
• X-rays
• Pulse oximetry (I now think this will probably come up as a 6 marker, because it has not come up!)
• Beta and positron radiation.
• Collaboration and circular motion
• PET scanners *LIKELY*
• Gas calculations

I do advise you look at everything else as well. Good luck to all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
jackyboy17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
im absolutely dreading this...so many hard topics that could come up!
jackyboy17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
One question with PET scanners - when the patient is enjected with the radio pharmaceutical such as FDG, how do the doctors know if there is something wrong in the body like a cancer? I know FDG would decay by b+ and emit gamma rays but how do the doctors differentiate from the normal use of, for example FDG, in the body and the how the cancer uses the glucose in FDG? FDG is fluorodeoxyglucose which is what is created when fluorine 18 is tagged with glucose. Sorry for the long post!
KD1024
Rep:
?
(Original post by jackyboy17)
One question with PET scanners - when the patient is enjected with the radio pharmaceutical such as FDG, how do the doctors know if there is something wrong in the body like a cancer? I know FDG would decay by b+ and emit gamma rays but how do the doctors differentiate from the normal use of, for example FDG, in the body and the how the cancer uses the glucose in FDG? FDG is fluorodeoxyglucose which is what is created when fluorine 18 is tagged with glucose. Sorry for the long post!
Cancer cells have a high metabolism due to their rapid growth, this means much more glucose is used for respiration and therefore positrons annihilate and more gamma rays are produced. The tumour can be located by a computer using 3 or more pairs of gamma rays using triangulation.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads