The Student Room Group

Can someone please just shoot Greece in the foot!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by *Stefan*
Dude, the idiocy you spill is like a copy of what some media is saying. Critical awareness is all that's needed here.

Regardless, you'll probably be saying this for many more countries to come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what I said is true. The greeks took the money, spent it, nothing got achieved and the begging bowl is out again.

I mean I know the FTSE will bounce back stronger, as will every other global market not tied to Greece. It's just sad they are stalling progress. The FTSE going over 7000 meant a lot to many people and the general "recovery".
Reply 41
And the EU gladly offered one. Both at fault, as I said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure.

I don't really see how they are at fault here though. I guess they could've let Greece fail faster but that wasn't really in their interests.
Reply 42
Original post by Quady
Sure.

So why are ryou bothered about the FTSE anyway?

Cos I have a lot of money tied up in the FTSE.
Original post by Dark Elixir
So I guess you should invest in FTSE 100 as soon as they pull out?

Have fun predicting what the markets will be like after they pull out. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Quady
Sure.

I don't really see how they are at fault here though. I guess they could've let Greece fail faster but that wasn't really in their interests.

Oh deary... You believe the "institutions" had no benefits at all?
Reply 45
Original post by 4r1r43r34
You know what I said is true. The greeks took the money, spent it, nothing got achieved and the begging bowl is out again.

I mean I know the FTSE will bounce back stronger, as will every other global market not tied to Greece. It's just sad they are stalling progress. The FTSE going over 7000 meant a lot to many people and the general "recovery".

Apart from a surplus? Which is more than we're managing right now.

How do you know? Because it managed to get above its previous peak set over 15 years previously? How'd you know its not a bubble which will burst in Sept when the FED starts hiking rates?
Reply 46
Oh deary... You believe the "institutions" had no benefits at all?

Sure, but they made a deal, which Greece is trying to renege on. Thats not the institutions fault, its the fault of Greece for accepting.
Reply 47
Original post by 4r1r43r34
Cos I have a lot of money tied up in the FTSE.

More fool you.

Why didn't you take it out before this? Hardly like it was a surprise.
Reply 48
Original post by Quady
Sure, but they made a deal, which Greece is trying to renege on. Thats not the institutions fault, its the fault of Greece for accepting.

As I said, the blame is equal here. We could go all day pointing fingers -it doesn't really mean anything.
Reply 49
As I said, the blame is equal here. We could go all day pointing fingers -it doesn't really mean anything.

Now?

The IMF/EU isn't reneging on the deal.
Reply 50
Original post by Quady
Now?

The IMF/EU isn't reneging on the deal.

The deal of further austerity?
Admittedly, I believe that both sides have pluses and negatives NOW.

I wasn't referring to now though.
Reply 51

Its not a new deal.

When were you referring to then?
Reply 52
Original post by Quady
More fool you.

Why didn't you take it out before this? Hardly like it was a surprise.

I didnt think this greece crap would affect UK stocks as much. I knew the greek market would be crippled, but how would greece defaulting on its debt affect shares in say BT for example. Most of BTs customers are in the UK. Unless the UK participated in the bailout plan, then we are ****ed.
Reply 53
Original post by Quady
Its not a new deal.

When were you referring to then?

It's not a new deal per second, but the terms are being renegotiated because of a change of regime in Greece. You may see it as two different bailout programmes, though "this" one is on a much smaller scale.
Reply 54

Heaven forbid a richer nation should expect Greece to sort its finances out before lending it additional cash! If Greece had been open and honest about its finances it probably would never have been allowed to join the Euro and if the Greek people paid their taxes instead of living beyond their means and expecting richer nations to cover their expenses they may not be in a situation where such heavy cuts are needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by ackbar
Heaven forbid a richer nation should expect Greece to sort its finances out before lending it additional cash! If Greece had been open and honest about its finances it probably would never have been allowed to join the Euro and if the Greek people paid their taxes instead of living beyond their means and expecting richer nations to cover their expenses they may not be in a situation where such heavy cuts are needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said it before and will probably have to say it again: austerity did not, in any shape or form, help Greece sort its finances out. If anything, it caused havoc. They (the rich countries) said that GDP would only fall by 3-5% percent before embarking on a road of steady economic growth. Instead, GDP fell by 25% and youth unemployment skyrocketed to 50%.

It was a failed policy to begin with.
True, Greece shouldn't have joined, but that little sentence in the end is a copy of what the media say - I wonder if that's where you got if from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
I said it before and will probably have to say it again: austerity did not, in any shape or form, help Greece sort its finances out. If anything, it caused havoc. They (the rich countries) said that GDP would only fall by 3-5% percent before embarking on a road of steady economic growth. Instead, GDP fell by 25% and youth unemployment skyrocketed to 50%.

It was a failed policy to begin with.
True, Greece shouldn't have joined, but that little sentence in the end is a copy of what the media say - I wonder if that's where you got if from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Greece's problems began long before the measures imposed upon it by those agents who were willing to bail it out of a financial crises. In 2009 Greece admitted that it had been understating its deficit figures for years panicking global investors. The "Troika" as it is commonly referred to agreed to lend Greece the required funds on the condition that Greece attempted to fix its budget and clamp down on tax evasion. Whilst the initial bailout may not have gone far enough to completely turn Greece's finances around, ultimately her failed economic policies are what caused the initial crises and I see no reason why the rest of Europe should pay for Greece's desire to live beyond its means.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 57
Original post by ackbar
Greece's problems began long before the measures imposed upon it by those agents who were willing to bail it out of a financial crises. In 2009 Greece admitted that it had been understating its deficit figures for years panicking global investors. The "Troika" as it is commonly referred to agreed to lend Greece the required funds on the condition that Greece attempted to fix its budget and clamp down on tax evasion. Whilst the initial bailout may not have gone far enough to completely turn Greece's finances around, ultimately her failed economic policies are what caused the initial crises and I see no reason why the rest of Europe should pay for Greece's desire to live beyond its means.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't see any point being made here though. You have simply reiterated what we have already said.

And, most importantly, you act as if Greece stole the money from the institutions. Nonetheless, Greece indeed has countless problems, but the solutions Europe offered were simply inadequate (if not plain out wrong).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
This needs to be sorted out before Greece brings the rest of Europe down with them.
Reply 59
Original post by Crb822
This needs to be sorted out before Greece brings the rest of Europe down with them.

One way to sort it out, we leave the EU and kick Greece out at the same time. Greece can go and become poor again. The Germans can go back to EU domination and screw over the rest of europe and we can get our country back again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending