Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you get at IQ tests?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the worst iq test are the ones you can do online as you always end up bein told you're a genius and you can find out more by buying the full certificate and explanation - who's gonna buy a certificate if it says there thick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    the worst iq test are the ones you can do online as you always end up bein told you're a genius and you can find out more by buying the full certificate and explanation - who's gonna buy a certificate if it says there thick?
    Me!

Anyways, I found that when I've taken them they vary greatly between 110-160. But to be honest there is hardly a strong correlation between IQ and success. Also since when do crappy websites get the right to define "intelligence". I suppose if you want to find your "official IQ" its best to sign up to Mensa, but I still don't really understand their purpose.

Mensa "provides a forum for intellectual exchange among members. Its activities include the exchange of ideas by lectures, discussions, journals, special-interest groups, and local, regional, national, and international gatherings; the investigations of members' opinions and attitudes; and assistance to researchers, inside and outside Mensa, in projects dealing with intelligence or Mensa."
    What a load of bull!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Me!

Anyways, I found that when I've taken them they vary greatly between 110-160. But to be honest there is hardly a strong correlation between IQ and success. Also since when do crappy websites get the right to define "intelligence". I suppose if you want to find your "official IQ" its best to sign up to Mensa, but I still don't really understand their purpose.

What a load of bull!
    Mensa's purpose is to look good on your CV.

ReputationRep:
    My bro got 150 on the BBC thingy and came top in the county in his
    11+ with 100%. He also got 5 As at A-Level and topped 1st year language
    exams at UCL. He is also phenomenally lazy, so it's not a case of IQ test hot-housing (in any case, practise adds 4 pts max to your IQ score). Also, he usually gets a few points above my IQ scores, even though I have done many more tests than he has and have more academic experience under my belt.

There is a strong correlation between good IQ scores and academic success (why SATS are used in the US and may be introduced here). There is also a strong correlation between high IQ and success in professions that are typically seen to demand intellectual ability (this excludes the vast range of success one could meet with in other lines of work) - which is why the doctors came top in the last BBC IQ test and the brokers in the one before. National averages also correlate with technological progress, as long as the social set-up allows it - see Japan. Japan are also way ahead of Euro. nations, the US and Canada in comparative studies of maths/science competence at secondary school age, though middling for literacy (possibly because their language is more complex).

High IQ, just as impressive height is suited to basketball, is useful if you want to aim for a role that exploits it - professional academic in a difficult field, high-flying accountant, analyst etc. Otherwise, it may be irrelevant or even a hindrance. Considered 'as is', it's about as worthy of admiration as a tall person's height is and is as much of a personal accomplishment as the lanky fella's shoe size is. You're born with it, whether you like it or not, and it's how you use it that counts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fussy)
    My bro got 150 on the BBC thingy and came top in the county in his
    11+ with 100%. He also got 5 As at A-Level and topped 1st year language
    exams at UCL. He is also phenomenally lazy, so it's not a case of IQ test hot-housing (in any case, practise adds 4 pts max to your IQ score). Also, he usually gets a few points above my IQ scores, even though I have done many more tests than he has and have more academic experience under my belt.

There is a strong correlation between good IQ scores and academic success (why SATS are used in the US and may be introduced here). There is also a strong correlation between high IQ and success in professions that are typically seen to demand intellectual ability (this excludes the vast range of success one could meet with in other lines of work) - which is why the doctors came top in the last BBC IQ test and the brokers in the one before. National averages also correlate with technological progress, as long as the social set-up allows it - see Japan. Japan are also way ahead of Euro. nations, the US and Canada in comparative studies of maths/science competence at secondary school age, though middling for literacy (possibly because their language is more complex).

High IQ, just as impressive height is suited to basketball, is useful if you want to aim for a role that exploits it - professional academic in a difficult field, high-flying accountant, analyst etc. Otherwise, it may be irrelevant or even a hindrance. Considered 'as is', it's about as worthy of admiration as a tall person's height is and is as much of a personal accomplishment as the lanky fella's shoe size is. You're born with it, whether you like it or not, and it's how you use it that counts.
    As far as I'm concerned all a high IQ indicates is that you think like the guy who wrote the test.

ReputationRep:
    hav u guys read about the article on 'HK ppl has the highest IQ'?

ReputationRep:
    I've had my IQ tested by Mensa and the result was 145, but I've also done some of the internet ones and seem to average around 190. Bottom line, I refuse to believe that my IQ is anywhere near 190 (though it would be nice) and thus, internet IQ tests aren't worth putting much faith in. I'd be interested to have a go at this bbc test though.

ReputationRep:
    IQ tests measure nth more than the ability being able to do well on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Me too, its all a load of crap though, I know I can get higer than most people on my course at university, I know I have a semi good job, good references, all this is far better than some stupid online test so I don't let it bother me anymore.

Anybody can see you're bright because of the posts you make especialy at you're age.
    Oh, thank you.

Exactly, the test was meaningless because you are clearly going to be a success and are intelligent. The test was a bit like a random multi-choice test, what exactly was it based on? Stupid.

ReputationRep:
    its really hard, especially since iq is supposed to test raw intelligence. In the BBC ones, (i didnt do it this year) a lot of it meant you had to have some general knowledge which is inevitable i suppose. I did the mensa one and got 156, but did the BBC last year and got 130ish, yet i ask the most stupid questions ever and it can take a long time for me to get something. so it depends what you classify intelligence as

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaerieLand)
    its really hard, especially since iq is supposed to test raw intelligence. In the BBC ones, (i didnt do it this year) a lot of it meant you had to have some general knowledge which is inevitable i suppose. I did the mensa one and got 156, but did the BBC last year and got 130ish, yet i ask the most stupid questions ever and it can take a long time for me to get something. so it depends what you classify intelligence as
    Like I said, all in IQ test can show is that you think like the people who wrote it.

Scoring well in a Mensa test implies you are intelligent as it indicated that you think in a similar way to the people who wrote it, who are generally regarded as intelligent. However, any test will be biased towards the "brand" of intelligence posessed by the writers, since they decide what answers are right - when infact there are often several possibilities depending on how you look at a question. If you pick the same ones as them, you think like they do, but picking another answer just means you think differently, and neither necessarily says anything about how smart you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I've had my IQ tested by Mensa and the result was 145, but I've also done some of the internet ones and seem to average around 190. Bottom line, I refuse to believe that my IQ is anywhere near 190 (though it would be nice) and thus, internet IQ tests aren't worth putting much faith in. I'd be interested to have a go at this bbc test though.
    My Mensa IQ is 178 or higher (I was too young to test higher), my internet IQ is 200ish and I haven't tried the BBC thing. I'd put my faith in Mensa too - it's highly unlikely my IQ is 200.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    My Mensa IQ is 178 or higher (I was too young to test higher), my internet IQ is 200ish and I haven't tried the BBC thing. I'd put my faith in Mensa too - it's highly unlikely my IQ is 200.
    If you're that sharp, you better make damn sure you get into Oxford and pick up your 1st!!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend (or rather had ) who is a member of Mensa. IQ in the 150s (Isn't the minimum 143?) who hasn't got an a'level to his name. He was (when I knew him) unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    my brother got 126 two years, 136 last year, and then this year 149!! all on the bbc test.

ReputationRep:
    IQ test r ethnocentric as well as culturally biast so it doesn't matter what score u get...what matters is how much u take in from around u...

ReputationRep:
    I remember taking the home Mensa test and sent it bac ksaying I had IQ of 132 or something, and invited me to do a moderated exam. Presumably because it was possible for me to get into 148 or about to join? But, after thinking about it, the venues were difficult to get into, and I thought about it and decided there wasn't that much point in it.

Many years later I was talking to a classmate of mine at college last year on intelligence and the links (or lack of them) between A level results and degree classifications. He said he did a home IQ test and never bothered with the moderated exams either, same views as me.

He got 3As and is now at Cambridge doing maths. The highest I could get into was UCL lol yet I cannot get as good grades as him at A level, though we're doing much different subjects.

Is there a maximum on the home tests? j/w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 旗人天相)
    Are there any genius here???
    I did the BBC test last year and got 124, then this year i got 115, so i guess my IQ must be around 120, which i am pleased with.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.