Report Thread starter 4 years ago
[d]
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jutbfa)
I feel like such an outsider having more conservative values. It makes me feel like a weirdo for actually wanting to have a family and wanting to be wealthy; not living a lonely low-quality lifestyle.

I've not met any student yet who isn't left-wing, and if they aren't they don't care about politics. Really, it is becoming frustrating seeing everyone being so uncaring about society and people who think nothing is important.

I know that teachers are very left for some reason - the majority of them at my college voted for the Green party?! Maybe this has a large influence?
Not all students are left wing - while a lot are, including myself, at my sixth form, there are several UKIP and Conservative voters as well. One reason why the polls were so wrong before the general election was due to 'shy Tories' - people not wanting to admit that they have more right wing views. This is likely the case at your college, but even if it isn't, it shouldn't be a big deal. Knowing people with different views encourages debate, for example.
IamLiquid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel like such an outsider having more conservative values. It makes me feel like a weirdo for actually wanting to have a family and wanting to be wealthy; not living a lonely low-quality lifestyle.

I've not met any student yet who isn't left-wing, and if they aren't they don't care about politics. Really, it is becoming frustrating seeing everyone being so uncaring about society and people who think nothing is important.

I know that teachers are very left for some reason - the majority of them at my college voted for the Green party?! Maybe this has a large influence?
I'm afraid that people who are on the centre-right to right of politics have to keep quiet about their views for fear of attack.

I have not stated university yet, but the very fact that I support UKIP puts me in a minority and I would be afraid to voice my opinions, as I have seen what the left do.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My former university was dominated with right wing voters.

In fact we weren't even allowed to join the NUS. The bastion of the lefty student.

So not all students are left wing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spiros90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most non western students are very reactionary.
HuggleyDuck
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Why do you think that being liberal/left-wing means you want to life a 'lonely, low-quality lifestyle'?

Also, teachers don't have much influence on politics. All but one of the teachers refuse to talk about who they voted for (and the one who does talk about it only does so because he's the local labour councillor so everyone knows about his politics)
localblackguy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd personally consider myself a centrist but leaning slightly left, but have quite a few friends who are more right-wing for both economic and social policies.
james.proctor
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's because they aren't earning an income. It's very easy to say spend more/tax more to solve societies problems when it's someone else's income.

Also students tend to be on the outside of society. It's easy to criticise big business when you're not employed by one.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which?
Harper Adams University
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Nah most of my friends and I, and even some of my teachers, are conservative supporters.

But I guess it's not that surprising seeing as I'm in one of the safest conservative seats in the country...
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A combination of naivety and propaganda.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Many aren't; they're just quiet about it (and for good reason). I recall that in the recent UK election a very large proportion of students voted conservative.

Campus politics is dominated by the left, not because their views represent the overwhelming majority, but because they shout louder (both metaphorically and literally speaking) and are more active than the right. People leaning towards the right are often intimidated by this.

University campuses have been like this since the 60s, though. However, people tend to get more conservative (and openly conservative) with age.
painter96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was one of few who voted Labour or in fact any left/centre party at sixth form. Rest voted Tories/UKIP and for the obvious reasons - cutting benefits for 'benefit scroungers' or 'kicking unemployed immigrants' out. Surprisingly my sixth form is fairly good and the students I would say are in fact clever, just a shame they fall back on ridiculous political views.
Cobalt_
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
- Separating church and religion from state
- In favour of social welfare programs
- More pro-choice with abortion rights and gay rights.
- "One for all and all for one" approach
- non-organized and have more scientific views to religion.

Etc etc.

Some reasons why students are left-winged.

Before someone quotes me im just listing reasons. I'm personally left winged but this isnt a list of why being left is better.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
its because they expect more to be given to them
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by james.proctor)
It's because they aren't earning an income. It's very easy to say spend more/tax more to solve societies problems when it's someone else's income.

Spot on.

I remember seeing a documentary about a rightwing students group at a Uni. (Cambridge?)
The group rather small, somewhat secretive and highly bullied IIRC.
The programme took the piss and portrayed them like 50yr old men in 20yr old bodies.
Oh and not one girl.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HuggleyDuck)
Why do you think that being liberal/left-wing means you want to life a 'lonely, low-quality lifestyle'?

Also, teachers don't have much influence on politics. All but one of the teachers refuse to talk about who they voted for (and the one who does talk about it only does so because he's the local labour councillor so everyone knows about his politics)
Paul?
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
I'm getting tired of seeing the same question being asked over and over again; some are, some aren't!
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Nah most of my friends and I, and even some of my teachers, are conservative supporters.

But I guess it's not that surprising seeing as I'm in one of the safest conservative seats in the country...
Which means your council gets money thrown at it and is disproportionately really rich people who have something to gain from being Tories.

You are in a bubble
HuggleyDuck
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by neal95)
Paul?
???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads