Asthmatics can we ever have normal lung capacities or peak flow reads?

Watch
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So today after 15 years of being asthmatic and practically asympomatic for 5 except when I get ill with viruses the asthma nurse asked if I d ever had a normal peak flow which I haven't and suggested I go back on a daily preventer to see if we can get it up but wondered if this is likely if I ve never been normal anyway even on inhalers daily as a kid. Although I did get my steroid type changed after 14 years to something that works better. So share your stories asthmatics as I am willing to try but 8.20 a month when I m not feeling ill is something I m not sure how I feel about.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Peak flows are only predicted values based on demographic, population data as I'm sure you're aware. Once you've had a diagnosis, the values are generally only good for monitoring exacerbations and recovery. Chronic maintenance therapy should be focused on symptomatic relief rather than your peak flow. Try not to get too caught up on your absolute number. That said, you should have a good idea of what is 'normal' for you when you're feeling well and are able to do all of the activities you want without symptoms.

Yeah the charge is a pain, unfortunately being asthmatic alone doesn't qualify you for free prescriptions. However, it's worth looking into pre-payment certificates as they can help you to save a little money. Also, keep in mind that changing your current inhalers may result in you getting better control, which is obviously safer, but may mean you needing less medication overall thus lowering your costs.
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I have well controled asthma and have better than average peak flow.
claireestelle
Rep:
(Original post by Etomidate)
Peak flows are only predicted values based on demographic, population data as I'm sure you're aware. Once you've had a diagnosis, the values are generally only good for monitoring exacerbations and recovery. Chronic maintenance therapy should be focused on symptomatic relief rather than your peak flow. Try not to get too caught up on your absolute number. That said, you should have a good idea of what is 'normal' for you when you're feeling well and are able to do all of the activities you want without symptoms.

Yeah the charge is a pain, unfortunately being asthmatic alone doesn't qualify you for free prescriptions. However, it's worth looking into pre-payment certificates as they can help you to save a little money. Also, keep in mind that changing your current inhalers may result in you getting better control, which is obviously safer, but may mean you needing less medication overall thus lowering your costs.
That was my thought, as my symptoms are completely controlled and have been for a long time i wasnt sure why the reading was so important. Although it may have been on the basis of the fact my spirometer results werent too good either. Asthma is the only long term condition i take medication for that you cant get OTC so pre payment certificates wont be much use for me atm.
claireestelle
Rep:
(Original post by earthworm)
I have well controled asthma and have better than average peak flow.
wow, now that i have never heard of before.
earthworm
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
wow, now that i have never heard of before.
Good drug regime, avoidence of triggers, losts of cardio.
claireestelle
Rep:
(Original post by earthworm)
Good drug regime, avoidence of triggers, losts of cardio.
i ve never known what my triggers are -_- i need to get back to the gym and on the treadmill soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.84%
Okay (109)
28.99%
A bit lacking (140)
37.23%
Not good at all (90)
23.94%

Watched Threads